What Could Have Been

Confession time.  This chapter leapt onto the keyboard, taking over my keystrokes and never once did it look back.  I apologize for any mistakes.  These chapters seem to get more and more difficult to come back from so it may be a few days before you hear from me again.  I'm sorry.  I hope you enjoy reading it.  Please comment and vote.  I will definitely need your support, probably for the rest of this book, in order to get through it.  I knew this one would be harder to write being a darker tale but I never realized just how much it would take from my heart to tell their painful story.  I love these characters and their love for each other.  That is what keeps me writing.  You are what keep me writing so thank you for your uplifting support.  Be safe.  Be happy.  Be strong.

Credit to all of the artists whose pictures I have included.  

Wei Ying ran recklessly through the pitch black night, his feet stumbling over rocks and fallen branches, his hands bleeding with cuts. Burning tears blinded him as he struggled to move under the crushing weight of his guilt. Exhaustion was quickly overtaking him but he did not care. His insignificant life was worthless after what he had done. It no longer mattered if he lived. He had betrayed his soulmate in so many ways that could never be forgiven. There was no going back for him now. There was nothing left for him. There was no one left for him.

His body convulsed as his vision slowly closed in on him. Wei Ying could feel his consciousness slipping away and all he could think was, 'I never want to wake up. Please let this be the end. I don't want to feel the pain anymore. I don't want to live without him.' But, there was another voice, deep inside, that refused to let him surrender to the nothingness he longed for. It kept pushing him further, harder, longer. It would not let him stop moving forward. It drove him towards the one place that offered refuge, one place he could rest, one place he had once called home.

                          *******************************************

As the sun rose, Lan Zhan stood motionless beside his brother, his head hung low refusing to meet the gazes that hovered over him. Thankfully, Xichen was the one to explain to everyone present what had been happening to Wei Ying the past few weeks. He told them about Wei's erratic behavior, his uncontrollable anger, his bouts of depression afterwards, and his nightmares. Wangi's guilt weighed heavily upon him. His heart screamed at him to go after his mate but his mind forced him to stay and listen to Xichen's words knowing that this was what needed to be done.

Lan Xichen also filled them in on Wei Ying's increased power and ability during the night hunt of the Qiongqi. Everyone's mouth gaped open, their trepidation about the current situation now obvious.

"Uncle Wei killed the monster all by himself?" Jin Ling questioned, not believing what he had heard from his elder.

"If that's true, Wei gongzi is more powerful than any of us realized. And, apparently, that power is having a strong influence on his rational thinking." Huiasang emphasized.

"Hmph! When did Wei Wuxian ever think rationally." Jiang Cheng countered. A few soft chuckles were quickly hushed at Lan Xichen's visual reprimand.

"Wait. So, what you're telling us is that my dad has been absorbing small amounts of resentful energy through the Yin Iron that was placed in his headband and none of us discovered it until now?" Sizhui reiterated in disbelief. His mind was reeling with the news. He had always strived to become as strong as his parents so he could protect them just as they had protected him for so many years. And now, the realization that he had failed them came crashing down on him. He looked over at his father knowing that Wangji must be drowning in the loss of his husband.