Wei Ying Wake Up

Well, I thought I knew where this chapter was going. Boy, was I ever wrong!!! I'm so glad our happy ending is right around the corner. My heart can't take many more of these surprises! Tell me your thoughts and thank you for reading!

Lan Zhan was on strict bed rest for another week and yet another one before Healer Shi gave him permission to walk on his own without having someone there for assistance.  His muscles were sore and tired more easily but they were stronger than he thought they would be after lying down for so long. The pain in his back was excruciating at times but he refused to surrender to it. He was grateful to everyone who came and shared their energy with him so he could recover quickly and take care of his husband.

Each morning, Lan Zhan would meditate and work on strengthening his core and cleansing his meridians.  He needed to be there for Wei Ying who was still healing.  And, Wangji did not want Wei Ying to see him with even an a twinge of pain on his face when his beloved woke.  He knew his husband would feel guilty over what had happened and Lan Zhan wanted Wei Ying to return to him without any guilt, worries, or fear. Only happiness should appear on his lover's face when he opened his eyes.

After a morning bath, Lan Zhan would attend to his husband's needs by wiping down his body and combing his long hair so that it shimmered like the surface of a calm lake.  He would dress Wei Ying in clean robes every day in case his beloved awoke.  As the days turned into weeks, Healer Shi showed him how to feed Wei Ying medicinal broth and provide physical therapy to his legs and arms so his muscles would not atrophy.

Lan Zhan mastered everything Healer Shi showed him and performed each task as he was instructed. Everyday Wei Ying had visitors come and talk to him, hold his hand, and keep Wangji company. 

They would often bring Lan Zhan homework to grade from the juniors and any clan business that was not deemed immediately important to help him stay connected with the clan's daily happenings. 

Xichen began to worry when Wangji would not leave Jingshi. Lan Huan tried to get his little brother out for short walks thinking the fresh air would be good for him. Winter's hold on the mountain was beginning to slip away.  The birds had returned and creatures were starting to stir after their long sleep.  But, Lan Zhan never left his husband's side. Every breath that Wei Ying took gave him hope that his lover would return to him.

"What if he wakes when I'm gone?" he asked Xichen one morning, his tone angry.  "I need to be here.  I want to be the first thing he sees. He needs to know I'm alive.  I won't let him suffer a second more by thinking I'm dead.  I won't leave him.  I promised."

Jiang Cheng would visit once a week claiming it was Yunmeng Jiang Clan business but Xichen knew it was just an excuse.  Wanyin only came to see his brother.   Lan Huan would be by his side during his visits but Jiang Cheng remained quiet until he sat with Wei Wuxian. 

"Wei Wuxian!  You need to wake up.  I'm tired of dealing with Jin Ling's stubbornness all by myself.  And your husband looks at me with daggers everytime I sit here to spend time with my own shixiong!  It's so annoying!  You can tease me all you want, just wake up please."

Jiang Cheng took Wei Ying's lifeless hand between his and touched their foreheads together. 

"I still want you by my side, to be my brother.  You can visit anytime and eat all the lotus seeds you want.  We can go swimming.  We can spar and I'll even let you win." Wanyin pleaded with a sad chuckle.  "Just........please, wake up.  I miss you, brother.  Don't leave me here alone."

Lan Xichen's eyes blurred before he could wipe the tears away.  They all missed Wei Ying.  He had been gone for so long and there was no sign of him regaining consciousness. There had not even been a finger twitch. What would life be like without his boisterous laughter and blinding smile?  How would they move on when one person left such a gaping black hole in their hearts?