New Friends

Good morning, afternoon, or evening!  This chapter was a little difficult for me to write so I hope you like the update.  I'm still building the groundwork for this story so please be patient with me.  Things will start to pick up very soon!  I should be able to do an update the next two days but then I need to take a break for a few days (it's my birthday!).  I hope to have at least 2 more chapters before Christmas and New Years arrive. Thank you for reading and don't forget to vote or comment at the end.  May all of you be safe and healthy in the weeks to come!

The next morning after Lan Zhan left for a sect meeting with his uncle, Wei Ying went to the guest house to check on how Fan Yingpei was doing and found him standing outside the doorway surveying the beauty of Cloud Recesses. Without a word, Wei went and stood beside him also admiring his new home. The two men simply stayed like that, silent, as if they were old friends who had been together forever. Wei Ying felt a sense of familiarity with this stranger even though they had known each other less than a day.

  Wei Ying felt a sense of familiarity with this stranger even though they had known each other less than a day

"I never thought I would like living here." Wei Ying said thoughtfully. His long ebony hair which was pulled up in a high ponytail with his red ribbon today blew gently in the breeze. A broad smile adorned his lips that turned into a long yawn. He stretched out his arms and body with a grunt shaking off the last bits of sleep.

"Why is that, Master Wei?" Fan Yingpei inquired.

Wei Ying snickered. "Too many rules."

Fan Yingpei smiled. "I'm sure you've already broken most of them."

"Of course! How did you know?" Wei Ying asked as he folded his arms across his chest.

"Everyone knows about the untamed Lotus of the Jiang Clan and how much trouble he causes the members of the Lan Clan." Fan informed him cheerfully.

"Did you know they even wrote a few new ones because of me?" Wei Ying laughed loudly and Fan couldn't help but to join him.

As their outburst quieted, Fan turned to Wei and looked at him with a somewhat serious face. "Do you miss the old days?"

"The old days?" Wei questioned.

"Yes. You know......before you........died?" Fan wondered shyly.

Wei Ying lowered his eyes and head. "I don't remember a lot of that time." His voice sounded distant and alone. "And I don't want to." He whispered the last sentence as if trying to keep that thought to himself.

"What do you mean? You don't remember who you were?" a shocked Fan asked.

Wei Ying smiled, playing off his sadness. "Oh, no that's not what I meant. I know who I was but recently I lost some memories from that time. Bad ones that I don't care to remember."

Fan Yingpei's jaw dropped. This was unexpected. His mind raced wildly at this new information, the thoughts so visible on his young face that Wei Ying frowned and patted his shoulder.