Let The Nightmare Begin

I hope you all have a loved one to hug after reading this chapter.  I hugged my dog.  A lot.  

Lan Zhan sat quietly in Jingshi. It was too quiet. Even for him. Especially for him.

It had been months since he last heard his husband's bubbly laughter. A sound not even the cruelest monster could resist.

Months since he had seen his beloved's blinding smile. A look that could warm even the coldest heart.

Months since he had held his lover in his arms.

His body ached. His heart cried out.

But no one was there to hear him.

No one was there to comfort him.

No one was there to love him.

Not like his Wei Ying loved him.

The sun had not yet risen and would not rise for another two hours. This was the shortest day of the year.  But it would be the longest one for Lan Zhan. The Second Twin Jade rose from his bed and began readying himself for the day that might be his last.

 Lan Zhan had long ago made the decision that, if his Wei Ying left this world, he would follow him before the next heartbeat finished sounding in his chest. There was no life worth living if his soulmate was not by his side, in his arms.  

Lan Zhan completed his appearance by tying Wei Ying's red ribbon at the bottom of his silky ebony hair. He held the full length of his fine strands over his shoulder and cupped the red bow in his steady hands, staring at its beauty and running a thumb over the soft fabric. He placed a tender kiss on his husband's signature ribbon and wiped the single tear that fell from his golden eyes when he realized he could no longer smell his Wei's lotus scent on it.

Straightening his robes, Lan Zhan picked up Bichen and walked out of his home.

He was the last to reach Gentian House. His brother, Jiang Cheng, and his uncle were all waiting outside with Jiyi Xiaotou. Xichen and Cheng held onto the small woman while Qiren approached Wangji with hesitant steps. Lan Zhan held his head high before bowing to his elder.

"Wangji, are you sure this is what you want?"

"Mn."

"What if something goes wrong and the Yiling Laozu........" Lan Qiren could not bring himself to finish his thought. His heart was in his throat for both his nephew and Wei Ying. He looked at Wangji lovingly and was about to reach out to comfort the young man in front of him before Lan Zhan spoke coldly.

"I will kill him myself."

Lan Xichen and Jiang Cheng tightened their grip on the woman between them and watched in painful silence as Lan Zhan ascended the steps into Gentian House.

*****************************

Jiyi Xiaotou nodded to the Yiling Laozu upon entering and the man's eyes sparkled with anticipation. Lan Xichen and Jiang Cheng reluctantly released her and she quickly proceeded to kneel in front of the broad-shouldered man in rich black robes. Wuxian smiled at her deviously before moving his gaze to the others in the room.

Lan Zhan watched the Yiling Laozu's every movement with cautious eyes as he removed Wei Ying's ribbon from his hair before holding it out for the Memory Thief to take possession of it. As she outstretched one of her scarred hands to pluck it from Wangji's palm, the cold jade grasped it tightly and pulled it back. She looked up at him with a look of surprise.