Lying to Myself

I hope the weather where you all live is better than mine.  We are snuggling down for two days of snow.  Which means 2 things: 

           1.  I'll have more time to write because I'll be stuck in my house for a bit of time. (yay)

           2.  My body will hurt from all the shoveling I'll have to do.  (sigh)

This update has me excited because it is building up to a huge heartbreaking reveal AND a peak in the plot which will be happening over the next few chapters.  I'm both excited and terrified for our couple!!  I can't give anything away I just hope you can keep going on this treacherous journey I have imagined.  Thank you for reading and stay warm, my readers!  Hugs!! 

Lan Zhan POV:

It has been a week since Wei Ying's night terror. And, he is changing. He still tries to hide things from me but I notice. I notice all the little things that no one else sees. His temperament constantly shifts, his emotions hit highs and lows so erratically that one might think he was an expectant mother. How would I know that, you ask? I watch other people even though I seem disinterested or uncaring. I am not blind to the world I live in. I read books that are not only about cultivation but about the world around me. I know. But, I do not say anything.

Wei seems more distracted and forgetful lately, too, which I assume is from his lack of sleep. I play my guqin every night before bed to help him center himself. I make him a special tea for dinner to help him relax. And, I always burn incense to calm his mind. But, he still dreams. Nothing as frightening as last week, but I know his sleep is broken, restless, and disturbed.

This is what worries me the most. My brother, trying to be helpful, had informed me a few days ago that he heard stories of people who were not able to sleep peacefully and their minds slowly went mad. So, we asked our healers if they could help my Wei but they can only help him fall asleep, not free him from his nightmares. This is why I have broken the Gusu rules and have remained awake, lying by his side, soothing him with my voice and my touch each night.  I take naps during the day to keep my mind clear while others like Xichen and the boys keep an eye on my Wei.

Four days ago, I taught some of my usual classes to try and get back to a more normal routine. I suggested to Wei that he should return to his dark arts class or help Sizhui with his music class but my beloved refused and instead, locked himself in the back room of Jingshi. When I came back that night to bring him dinner, he was still there. He had been inventing all day. He has not done any tinkering for years. I tried to get him to eat something but he ignored me. He never once looked at me. When I looked into his eyes, I only saw obsession. But, not for me.

People inquire about him. Sizhui wants to know if his dad is okay. Jiang Cheng wants to know if his brother is still his brother. Huaisang wants to know if his friend is coming to visit soon. So, I tell them the only thing I can. The truth. Or at least a partial truth.

Wei Ying is still Wei Ying. He has control of his power and has not hurt anyone. He has started inventing gadgets again to help fight evil spirits. I am working with him to master his power so it does not consume him. I do not lie to them because even they would be able to see the deception on my face. But, I cannot tell them everything. I tell myself I am protecting my husband from the watchful eyes around him that are not family. That are not friendly.  At least I am only lying to myself.

I have searched every library for clues to my beloved's deteriorating condition but there is nothing. 

 Not one book.