Chapter Twenty Three

Hermione was speechless after that. So were the other two. Blaise apologized to them in the most arrogant way possible and took off.

"That was....Bloody amazing!" Ron said. Draco gave him a small smile. Harry knew. He'd risked everything that he was trying to do here since he'd come back. He successfully embarrassed Zabini in front of the Slytherins. It only made matters more complicated. Harry slipped his hand in Draco's and squeezed it.

"Thank you." Hermione breathed.

"That's alright Granger, but why didn't you defend yourself? Could've punched him. He wouldn't have crossed you again." Draco said.

"If I would've, I'd be with Umbridge, writing with blood quills. I decided to let it go." She replied. No shit. She could hurt Blaise in a thousand ways if she wanted to. She was smart as hell.

"Fair." Harry managed to say. He was worried. Like it or not, Draco had just sized everything Zabini was trying to establish. Ron noticed that as well.

"Mate, as long as you're with us, you don't have to worry." Ron provided. Harry shot him a thankful glance. Draco grinned. "Never though that I'd be under the protection of the golden trio."

"Well there is a first time for everything." Harry mused. Snape decided to spoil this, because of course. They were finally getting along!

"Mr. Malfoy, I need to exchange a few words with you." Snape said. He looked at Harry, eyebrows raised.

"Go on, I'll join you three." Draco declared. Ron and Hermione decided to leave, they didn't want to deal with Snape right now. Harry left after a little argument and detention. Draco followed him into the potions classroom, dreading the conversation.

"Harry, we'll know soon enough. Take it easy." Hermione said as they made their way to the library. She told them to make no noise or that she would kill them. Harry was reading Hemione's notes on Draught of Peace. It was boring as hell. Ron was doing something between reading and pretending. Studying for an exam was just as pathetic as detention with Umbridge. Intolerable.

Hermione's notes were no help whatsoever. He would never get the hang of potions.

"Hey." Draco slipped beside him, his hand resting on top of Harry's.

"Ron, I need your help, can you help me find a book?" He took the hint and followed Hermione to some shelf.

"Want to talk about it?" Harry asked. Draco was upset, thanks to Snape.

"He told me to keep a low profile. That my parents were at the mercy of The Dark Lord and seeing that I didn't care, I should at least pretend that I want them alive, nothing that we don't know of." He whispered, closing his eyes and dropping his head into his hands. Harry scooted closer to him, placing his hand on Draco's back, rubbing it gently.

"What do I do Harry? I'm so tired." He asked. Draco Malfoy was many things, but seeing him completely confused and overwhelmed was bloody painful.

"Come on, let's get out of here." Harry said. He couldn't be in this place any longer. He wrote a note to Hermione, apologizing and that he'd study later for sure, dropping it in her book bag.

Draco laced their fingers together as they made their way to the black lake, a soft drizzle encompassing them. Harry didn't care if Umbridge caught him. He wanted to make Draco happy. He had to. He'd given up everything for Harry in a heartbeat. Writing with a blood quill wasn't a problem really. The clouds were grey and the black lake was as spectacular as always. He looked at Draco, he looked peaceful now, much at ease. Beautiful as usual. Harry wondered what made this handsome boy fall in love with someone like him.