40

When I released chapter 20, I was celebrating 9k reads; now here we are, chapter 40 sitting at 123k. So in honour of that milestone here you go! I can't put into words how amazing this is for me, and it is all down to you amazing and dedicated readers. I honestly love you guys so much.

Emma xox

31 August 2010

"It was nice meeting you, Rebekah."

She smiled the most forced grimace she had ever produced before walking off, bags in hand and dog following her closely.

Grace had no idea how long she walked for, Mystic Falls was by no stretch a huge town, but hours seemed to slip away as she aimlessly wandered. She had passed by the school, but the number of cars and the sun setting allowed her to put two and two together - it was senior prank night.

If Nik were looking to pick a fight with Elena Gilbert, he would likely be there.

But she couldn't bring herself to go inside. Instead, she gazed at the door for a few seconds before walking on. If Mystic Falls was a normal place and her a normal 18-year-old, she would have been in there with the other seniors causing all sorts of havoc and mischief. Instead, she was holding all her world possession in a rucksack and large gym bag.

She didn't realise where she was going until she was leaning against the tree. The rocking chair was on the deck like it always was, and the lights were on the inside. The wooden deck looked like someone had painted or varnished it - it wasn't looking quite as worn. Grace didn't understand what force overcame her, but one moment, she was nervously leaning against the beech tree, and the next, the buzzer was sounding as her finger lifted from the button.

It seemed there was nothing left to do other than wait and see if anyone would answer.

"Grace?"

"Hello Ms Forbes"

The Sheriff stood leaning against the door frame, an obvious look of shock painted upon her face.

"You...what, where have you...?" She took a deep breath before taking a step back. Gesturing into the house, she turned to Grace. "Do you want anything to drink?"

Grace was far too tired to realise that Liz Forbes had very carefully worded her invite not to invite her in. She was relieved to see Grace one more but had no idea what she had encountered while being gone for so long.

"If that's alright," Grace said, stepping over the threshold. Liz let out a breath she hadn't realised she had been holding in.

"Take a seat in the living room. I'll be through in a second."

Grace did as instructed - it felt so strange to be back in this house - in some ways, her house, it was the only place she had ever lived in Mystic Falls after Liz had taken her in. It seemed although the deck had been revitalised, nothing inside had changed, the furniture was still the same, and the pictures that adorned the fireplace and walls still brought the same half-smile to her face.

"I realise I didn't ask what you wanted, but I made hot cocoa," Liz said, entering the room holding two mugs. "I don't mean to presume, but I assume you still like it?"

"Of course, come hell or high water, I shall love hot cocoa." Grace jested, taking the mug from Liz. "I realise you are probably rather confused."

"That's a bit of an understatement." Liz sighed, taking a long sip of her drink - it seemed she didn't have hot cocoa, rather deathly black coffee.

"I know this may seem like a strange request, but I need to know what you know before I can even try to explain some of the things that happened."

"What do you mean what I know?" Liz narrowed her eyes in confusion, but also, a hint of suspicion was beginning to creep in - Grace may not be a vampire, but she may have encountered them.