39

26th August 2010

"What...what's happening." She whispered in fear. They looked as if gold was being poured into an abyss.

"Black and gold eyes, anger and increased irritability..." Nik listed, still holding her in place. He sighed as she failed to put two and two together - or perhaps she had but couldn't even manage to voice the answer. "Grace, you are a wolf, love."

A moment past as Grace tried to process what was happening.

"I, I can't be...it doesn't make sense." Pushing Nik off her, she turned so that she was facing him. "I'm a werewolf?"

"Everything makes so much more sense now," said Nik grinning, it was a sentimentality Grace did not share.

"No, Nik, it doesn't - in fact, it makes entirely less sense altogether."

"Think about Grace. Would you have really got into a screaming match with people before?"

"Well, maybe if they inferred I was a mere thing, called me a useless child and threatened to snap my neck, then yes, I probably would."

"And when we got near the wolf pack close to the full moon - you hated that, the thought of what was going to happen."

"Well, you were on your way to massacre the lot of them in the hope that they would rise again as hybrids. Death isn't the simplest of occasions, Nik."

"You stood there and watched Stefan tear those two women to pieces, yet you fought to keep Ray alive, a sleazy man you knew nothing about."

"A massive misjudgement of character on my part, but perhaps I was just tired of all the murder." Grace retorted, but even she was beginning to realise a pattern.

"Grace, he was a werewolf. Being around him brought out a part of you that you weren't even aware existed, "Nik explained. "You have alpha instincts in you, little one. Protector of your pack."

"He wasn't my pack - according to you, he wasn't even a good man."

"That's beside the point, you were instinctually protective over him, and he responded to you with trust. Gloria must have truly lost it, that nonsense she was spouting about magic - she must have been making it up, your magic it's no magic it's nothing more than a curse plain and simple." Nik rationalised. "Merely the remnants of whatever the Bennet witch did to you."

Grace and Stefan's eyes couldn't help but be drawn to each other, for they knew otherwise. What had happened to Gloria seemed far more than an uncontrolled curse. It had felt real.

"Bonnie put me in a coma - she didn't imbue with magic or curse me."

"And how would you know that?" Nik retorted. "For all, you know she could have easily hexed you."

"Because the first time this so-called magic," her eyes rolled as she over annunciated each syllable, "reared its head was at her."

"And when would this have been?" Nik asked, arm folded. "As far as I know, Bonnie was dead until she showed up at the ritual. No one told me anything to the contrary."

Grace sighed. It seemed that today the lies were simply hellbent on catching up with her. This one hadn't been on her mind in so long. So much happened since Bonnie Bennet had ambushed her and Katrina, and Grace had done something unexplainable to Bonnie. It seemed she couldn't reason her way out of this one, so instead, she tried telling the truth - perhaps if he heard the answer to this question, he wouldn't press and ask much more dangerous ones.

"She approached Kat and me the day we went shopping."

"You didn't think to tell me this."

"No," she said timidly.