1 5

Klaus sauntering over to Stefan, slapping his hand onto his shoulder.

"Now...Let's talk, you and I."

May 31st 2010

Grace and Katherine watched rom afar as Klaus wrapped his hand tightly round a blade he had just retreated from the knife block. Blood poured from his hand into a vial below. Stefan watched cautiously.

"There it is."  Klaus said placing the blood stained knife in the work top clenching his fist as the cut healed over. "You want to save your brother? How 'bout a decade-long bender?"

"I'm not like that anymore."

"Well, that's too bad, you would have made a hell of a wingman. I had big plans for you when we leave this town."  Picking up the vial he began to pour its contenders down the sink, tantalisingly slow.

"Wait."  Stefan said raising a hand, Klaus halted his actions.

"Now that's more like it." He said placing the vial down with a triumphant smile. "I want you to join me for a drink." He slid a blood bag along the counter to Stefan how raised it in one hand. He regarded it reluctantly before taking a sip from the bag, to Grace it was surreal to see a vampire drink from a blood bag so slowly - all those she had been acquainted with polished of a bag much faster, and if they were hungry, with much more ferocity. Such restraint was new to her.

"Finish it. All of it. You do everything I say, and I save your brother. That's the deal."

This however when he drank the veins under his eyes began to convulse, his pupils dilated. "Again."  He commanded, sliding him another.

Grace watched as the restraint slipped away, finishing his fifth blood bag, Stefan looked like a broken man on the edge of letting go, like a recovering alcoholic picking up a bottle - it was a dangerous line to walk and he was very close to falling off.

But Klaus didn't care. "You're very cooperative. It's almost as if you're enjoying it."  He quipped throwing him another bag.

"No more. Not until you give me the cure." He looked in pain, his mind swirling, the blood was addictive - anymore and his mind would be so clouded he would be unable to barter for his brothers salvation.

"Not until we make a deal. It's your choice, Stefan. You can either remain here living your life in Mystic Falls, or you can embrace what you truly are, leave town with me, and save your brother's life."

To Stefan there was no choice, he knew what he had to do. Picking up the bag, he sunk his teeth into it, devouring the contents.

"That's the spirit." Picking up the vial Klaus turned to Grace and Katherine who had become spectators to Stefan's pain. "Girls, take this to Damon."

"He's at the Boarding House." Stefan grunted, glad that finally Klaus was holding up how end of the bargain.

"Katerina."  Nik said handing the vile over to Grace. "I trust you know the way."

As she nodded, Grace stood transfixed, looking at the viscous red liquid, how blood was a cure for anything she wasn't quite sure but then, she supposed, she knew so little about the world of magic.

Suddenly though she was pulled from her musings by Katherine who dragged her from the apartment, Grace could understand her enthusiasm - she had just been inadvertently granted her freedom from Nic. They flew down the stairs and out into the street, Grace had to be careful not to spill the contents of the vial all over the sidewalk.

Kathrine looked at Grace with a serious look in her eyes, something she wasn't used to seeing. "Grace, we can't go to Damon, Klaus is just playing a game, I will never be free."

"This time he's not playing." Kathrine raised her eyebrow at the young girl. "Look, I'm not even going to pretend I know what's going on round here anymore, least of all between the two of you and I am not going to defend him.  I understand he isn't always a good but I trust his word to me, he hasn't broken it yet and I don't think he ever will. I know you don't trust him but trust me - as long as he never sees or hears from you again he won't hurt you or play any more games with you. You're free Kathrine. You have my word."

A small tear rolled down her normally emotionless face and her stone cold heart warmed at the actions of this girl she barely knew, a girl who had heard stories of the terrible, selfish things that Kathrine had done and in turn done something so selfless as to get her her freedom from Klaus.

"Thank you." She said embracing the younger girl.

"Now," Grace started pulling away slightly to look her in the eye. "I never said you can't come and see me, so don't you dare let this be goodbye."

"No, never, I'm in your debt Grace." Kathrine said with a smile on her face, a real one.

"Now go, be free Katerina Petrova." Grace said, her mother's accent slipping through.

Giving her one last smile Kathrine disappeared off.

Moments passed before Grace angrily kicked the ground. "Dammit." She cried. "I forgot to ask where the boarding house is!"