1 8

"I'm am nothing like Kathrine!" Elena spat.

"She loved them both too and sure if she was her she would say it's alright to love the both she sure did." Grace argued, her tone indifferent.

"Leave." Elena said turning away from her and back towards swaddling Damon.

"I hope Stephan's sacrifice was worth it." Grace said finally before tuning and leaving Damon's room.

May 31st 2010

"So where have you really been these past few months?"  Matt quizzed her, sliding her an orange juice and lemonade down the bar, it was her third one of the night. They were at the Grill and the day was just fading into happy hour so the noise lifted from quite murmurs of day drinkers and business to the more lively after-work hoorah that was far more befitting such an establishment. Conversation had graced the tense situation for long enough but she could tell Matt had seen right through her faced - he wanted answers and he wanted them now.

"Look Matt don't get all snappy with me." She pleaded, taking a sip, taking her time. After all with tail like hers it would take a while. "I didn't know what you knew and I didn't have enough time to explain."

Lie.

"Well now you have all the time in the world." Matt was normally calm and gentle but this was a new Matt, one that had been aged by the secrets of this town and close connection to all the things that go bump in the night.

"So what do you know?" She began tentatively, running her index round the rim of the glass.

She knew exactly what he knew. Katherine had told her.

"About what Grace."  He retorted impatiently. "About the fact the town is infested by vampires? Yes I know that."

"So you know about Stefan, and Damon."  Matt nodded to this, so she continued, listing off the top offenders, counting them on her fingers as though the were stars in a best seller. "And Bonnie and Elena."

"I know that Bonnie is a witch and Elena is a doppelgänger that some sadistic vampire just tried to sacrifice." He snapped, clearly having no love for Nik. She grimaced at his choice of words but in truth the ritual and the murders were sadistic at best.

"Tried."

"You know what you saw Grace, don't play dumb with me." Such a tone before would have made her flinch but her ordeal had hardened her.  she was made of tougher stuff now.

"I'm not playing with you Matt, I'm just a bit surprised she hasn't hightailed it out of this forsaken town and waited until the heat died down."

"If it ever does." He spat, slipping further and further into his drink.

"Precisely. Only fools and the blatantly ignorant remain in this town."

"I'll toast to that." He said clinking their glasses with a half smile on his lips.

"To fools and their followers." She laughed.

"So what are you Grace? A fool or a follower?"

"I could ask you the same thing." She sighed, annoyed that their high had to be dragged back to the politics of the town. "I'm neither."  He raised an eyebrow out her answer. "I'm neither because I'm leaving Matt, I'm getting out of here."