23

22nd August 2010

The decision was reached that brining a body into the hotel room was unnecessary and risky and thus formed an unnecessary risk. Although the receptionist didn't even look up as she took the cash and signed out the key, Grace was still glad they didn't try and chance it by bringing Ray in. Thankfully the motel didn't have a no dog policy so her new puppy happily followed them in.

The room they had been given had two double beds but before Grace could even broach the topic of sleeping agreements Nik announced he was going to return to the bar for a drink and left. She could hear the car pull away a minute later.

Feeling defeated and tired she crashed down onto the nearest bed. 

Silently, Stefan gently sat down on the edge of the bed next to her.

"The more bodies he leaves the more publicity and human scrutiny follows us."

"You are upset with him, for how things went at the bar? Or is if something else."

"No I mean I get it, this isn't my world and it's his one thousand year old dream he's chasing so I get he's motivated. I don't know I just..."

"Feel perturbed?"

"Ohh nice big word. I guess I am feeling a bit perturbed. Ever since discovering this other world
Everything has been so different, first the coffin and coma and then being locked inside in house arrest and now travel cross country hunting down a wolf and his pack. At times it feels for someone who has been planning this for so long at times he can be a bit myopic."  Straightening up she turned to face Stefan. "I guess I can just get a bit frustrated."

"Look I've been like this for 150 years and it sucks, he's been like this for 1'000 I can't even begin to compute what that would feel like, what that would do to you."

"Are you trying to defend him?"

"No. I'm just trying to say you won't always be able to level with him."

"I don't won't to level with him and I get it - your humanity, his humanity it's unstable but it's still there. You're not all monster."

"Humanity is the wrong word for it because we have no human left. Our morality exists but its hanging on by a thread in both of us."

"So when you flip the switch, turn it all off, it's your morality that goes." She has heard Nik and Stefan discussing flipping the switch before. It had taken her a while to figure our what the turn of words meant.

"Yes. Our remaining humanity dies along with our mortality so to speak."

"But that only stands to support my point."

"Grace."

She sighed. "I don't know, I just...."

"Grace it's alright to be conflicted, nothing about this is normal. I was about your age when I turned..." - "When you died." -  "...when I died. And I was confused and I have always been conflicted."

"How did it happen? Sorry that was quite blunt."

Stefan's face was blank. Void of emotion, it was as if the question didn't even register.