fifty: foreign territory

FOREIGN TERRITORY

As soon as Slughorn dismissed the class, Lucia walked briskly out of the room. Tom stared after her with worry and confusion, instantly picking up his books with the intention to follow.

"Mr. Rosier, may I have a quick word?" Slughorn asked as Lucia disappeared from sight. Tom let out a sigh of frustration, but gave a smile of agreement to Slughorn and made his way to the front desk.

As she headed down the corridor out from the dungeons, Lucia felt tears threatening to spill from her eyes and hastily wiped them away. She was disgusted at herself for showing such weakness.

"Ms. Cohen, is everything alright?" A brisk Scottish accent queried. Lucia raised her eyes to be met with the severe-looking Headmistress.

"Oh, yes Professor." Lucia forced a smile despite her glossy eyes.

The witch raised an eyebrow at her student, "Very well. Staying out of trouble I'm sure?"

"Of course, Professor. You know me, always doing what I'm meant to do." Lucia forced a chuckle, the smile she wore not reaching her eyes.

She thought she saw a hint of humour in the professor's expression at her comment. But she couldn't be sure as it was gone as soon as it came, replaced with the stern expression of sophistication the witch always wore on her fine features.

"And how is your friend, Mr. Rosier coping with his transition? I couldn't help but notice you two have developed a sort of closeness." The professor pried delicately, her eyes fixated in concentration on the younger witch.

"Tom's doing well, as I assume you've heard. He's very smart so all his studies are going good. I think he's settled in really well here." Lucia pushed aside her personal feelings, "And Tom and I are quite close... I suppose."

"I hope you don't find discomfort in me taking note of my students' personal lives, but it is my job to protect them. I do urge you to exercise caution, Ms. Cohen. Given what you have gone through these past couple of years, I do think a focus on your education would be the most beneficial priority." McGonagall worded carefully, ensuring to remain slightly ambiguous in her advice, a method she had seen frequently employed by the previous Headmaster.

"Oh... um, thanks Professor, I... I really should be getting to class." Lucia felt rather uncomfortable in the interaction, which was strange considering the amount of time she'd spent with the Headmistress over the years, that had allowed her to develop a somewhat comfortable relationship with the older witch.

"Indeed." McGonagall acknowledged, but her thoughts seemed to have gone elsewhere as indicated by the less intense concentration in her eyes.

Lucia forced another smile as another tear managed to slip from her eye which she quickly wiped away again, before continuing down the hallway away from the conversation.

The tears just wouldn't stop welling up now, so Lucia stepped inside a broom cupboard to collect herself. The last thing she needed was another person asking if she was okay, because she doubted she could hold it together again.

She slid down the back wall of the small space and rested her forehead against her knees as she took deep breaths.

It wasn't that Tobias had really brought up anything she hadn't already thought herself, but knowing that someone else had considered the same thing felt like a knife being stabbed in her chest.