thirty-five: victoire

VICTOIRE

The hallway in the castle had the kind of damp smell Lucia associated with recent rain. The grey stone never seemed to retain heat, so the hallways always felt rather like walking through a cold cave tunnel, with hints of dust in the scent of less popular hallways.

"Do you play Quidditch?" Tom asked leisurely as they walked to their DADA class across the school, which was located on the third floor.

"Definitely not." Lucia scoffed, allowing her fingernails to trace a crease in the cover of her textbook absentmindedly, "How about you?"

"Never been interested." Tom confirmed her suspicion, shoving one hand into his pocket, "I've always had other things on my mind."

"Of course." Lucia cocked an eyebrow, digging her fingernail into the book enough to scratch through the surface. She winced and tried to smooth over the small imperfection.

They were only just on time to class, and most students were already sitting around the classroom.

The DADA classroom hadn't changed much over the years. An iron chandelier hung precariously from the stone ceiling, a dragon skeleton nearby which would sway in the presence of powerful spells being practiced by students. Large windows lined the sides of the classroom, with a projector and blackboard each side of several rows of desks.

Tom had always been fond of the subject, particularly the practical learning that had built the foundations for what he'd achieve in the future (or past you could say).

A couple of the students looked up as they walked in, seemingly curious to see the pair. Hogwarts rarely got new students, so it was a sight of interest when they did.

Lucia slid behind one of the only free desks, next to a Gryffindor girl. Tom took the seat beside her and set his books on the desk gently.

The Gryffindor girl was rather beautiful, her blonde hair cascading down her shoulders in an effortlessly perfect way. Something about her aura was incredibly alluring. Around her neck she wore a necklace with a fang as the pendant, a rather harsh contrast to her perfectly pristine appearance otherwise. Lucia suspected it may signal her personality differed broadly from her appearance at first glance.

Her name was Victoire Weasley of course.

There was no way anyone didn't know the Weasley children who went to the school, especially the daughter of the striking Bill and Fleur Weasley.

She smiled charmingly at Lucia, who was slightly surprised, but returned it graciously.

"Good morning everyone, please turn to page 157." A female voice sounded from the back of the classroom, "I am Professor Susan Bones, and I will be your Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher this year."

The woman in billowing robes walked down the room, between the desks and towards the front of the class. She had a kind look in her eyes, and her red hair was fastened in a neat brain down the back of her head.

It really seemed that DADA teachers never lasted more than a year, the teacher from the previous year having not returned again.

"We'll begin with a refresher on non-verbal spells today, but I don't want just the simple use of expelliarmus like usual. Get creative with your spells, but of course use nothing that will harm your opponent." She explained, scrawling a couple of sample spells on the chalkboard in case anyone was stuck for ideas, "Partner up with the person beside you please."

Since Victoire was on the edge of a table, Lucia would be paired with her. Tom was next to a Hufflepuff boy, and he seemed rather displeased with the pairing already.