thirty-seven: detention

DETENTION

The rest of the day of classes was rather boring and uneventful. However, going back to concentrating for hours throughout the day proved rather exhausting for Lucia.

The day wasn't yet at an end though, with Tom and Lucia's detention with Slughorn still to occur in the evening.

When Lucia approached the Great Hall, she saw Tom standing outside the entrance waiting for her. He gave her a charming smirk when he met her gaze, and began striding towards her.

"Miss me?" He mused, putting a gentle arm on Lucia's back as they turned to walk in the direction of the dungeons.

It was a short walk, but walking with people you enjoy spending time with does make the time go faster. When they reached the Potions classroom, Tom raised his hand to knock on the dark oak door. Lucia chuckled at the polite action, and began to open it when she heard a rushed sounding call from within of "Come in!"

Professor Slughorn was putting the way the last of the potions ingredients from his class that had been dismissed just minutes before. He gave a grimacing smile at the two students entering his classroom, enclosing a rat tail in a box and returning it to the cupboard.

"Take a seat, I'm just going to finish clearing up and we'll get started." He called over his shoulder.

His hair was silver and balding, and he had aged significantly since when Tom knew him, but he didn't doubt that the man was still a very talented and powerful wizard.

Lucia and Tom sat at one of the desks, turning the chairs around to face the other side of the room where Slughorn was. Lucia began picking at her cuticles, a habit she'd picked up over the years as a way of entertaining herself.

After a few short minutes, Slughorn turned his attention to them.

"I must say, Lucia, I'm rather disappointed to be seeing you here so early on in the year." He quirked an eyebrow in her direction.

"Sorry Professor." Lucia chuckled.

"And you've brought a friend this time." Slughorn observed, "I don't believe we've met before, Tom...."

"Rosier," Tom told him, "Tom Rosier."

Slughorn gave a curious look, "Well, you two will be polishing trophies, without magic of course." He gestured to the boxes of old trophies that were piled in the corner of the classroom.

Lucia nodded, walking towards the boxes tiredly and taking a seat on one of the two stools next to them.

They both began polishing the incredibly old trophies with the rags laid out for them.

"So, Tom, where have you moved from?" Slughorn conversed, pulling out a tub of ingredients to sort.

"I've come from France, actually." Tom explained, "We are distant cousins of the Rosier family that lived here. My family moved around a lot."

Slughorn hummed in understanding, "And where do your interests lie? I expect I'll see you in my Potions class?"

"Indeed." Tom gave a charming smile, "I do enjoy academics, Professor, Potions is definitely near the top of the list."

Slughorn looked rather pleased, and seemed to almost be assessing Tom, "No need to say that just because a Potions Master is here." He joked, a deep bellied laugh resounding through him.

"Oh no, Sir, I do truly enjoy dabbling in the art of potion-making." Tom flattered. Lucia wanted to roll her eyes, so she focused on the hard bit of grit on the Quidditch trophy she was polishing.