nine: wish

WISH

As they continued their walk back to the hotel, Lucia wrapped her arm around Tom's leaning her head on his shoulder.

"Why are you friends with so many muggles?" Tom raised, his curiosity getting the best of him.

"Everything is so much less complicated." She explained, "They just live their lives enjoying every experience, not even realising what they don't have because of their lack of magical blood."

Tom thought about this for a moment, he'd never considered muggles in that kind of light. He'd always pitied them for their ignorance and inability.

"Don't get me wrong, I love Hogwarts, I love my friends there and I love my magic," She defended, "But sometimes it's just nice to have a bit of separation from it, you know? To feel normal for once."

He hummed in thought, "I understand that, I just can't imagine not wanting a life fully enriched with magic in every aspect. Life would be so... boring."

"And you're telling me tonight was boring?" She laughed, knowing he'd enjoyed it. "The most fulfilling and captivating moments of my life haven't involved magic."

He considered this, and she was right. The time he had spent in the future had hardly involved magic, but he already felt more fulfilled than he had in his entire life.

They continued walking in silence, both so entrapped by their own thoughts that neither sought to speak. The soft sound of Lucia's heels on the pavement and the occasional hum of traffic were the only noises surrounding them.

There was a cold breeze that made the leaves on the road roll around like a failed levitation spell. But it was a calm and serene atmosphere, allowing their thoughts to wonder uninterrupted.

"Okay I really need to take these shoes off," Lucia announced, "They are absolutely killing my feet." She laughed, holding Tom's arm for balance as she slipped them off.

They had to walk slightly slower now, due to Lucia trying to avoid the painful pieces of gravel scattered on the pavement. She clutched Tom's arm for balance, feeling the reassuring warmth of his skin under the fabric that confirmed blood flowed through his veins.

"How long will you be staying here?" Lucia finally asked, the question having been bothering her for some time now.

"I'm not sure." Tom answered truthfully, scratching his head, "My plans have... changed. In all honesty I'm not sure I even have a plan anymore."

Lucia nodded in understanding. "Are you still caught up in that immortality shit?"

"Let's not talk about this now, Lucia." He said sternly, knowing their differing opinions would just result in an argument. "Tell me about Hogwarts now, what's it like?"

She sighed at him changing the subject. "It's good. I don't know what else to say. It's such a beautiful school and I love all the people there... it's just... I don't even know."

"No, tell me." He insisted.

"I just feel like the people there don't quite... understand me. As much as they're all very kind, I always feel like a bit of an outsider. Maybe it's the associations I have with muggles, I don't know." She revealed.

"I know how that feels, when no one really understands you. They see the front you put up and believe it without a second glance." Tom responded gently, lacing his fingers in hers.

"I'm going into my last year though, I'll be free in the world in only a year." She said into his shoulder.

They finally arrived back at the hotel and made their way back up to their room.