fifty-three: reparations

REPARATIONS

Lucia and Tom sat in front of the Headmistress' desk, with various magical artifacts clicking and ticking, breaking the awkward silence. Lucia was picking at her cuticles with her hands resting on her lap, staring intently at the wood grain of the desk in front of her.

Professor McGonagall placed two gold-rimmed teacups in front of them that sat on matching saucers, then walked around to take her place at her desk. Lucia reached forward to pick up the cup, the sound of china rattling as her shaky hands brought the steaming hot liquid to her lips. She was afraid without some kind of moisture in her mouth, her vocal cords wouldn't allow her to speak.

Tom's cup sat untouched on the desk, and he was watching the Headmistress with careful eyes, attempting to gage her thoughts.

"Professor, I'd just like to apologise for some of my language you may have overheard." Lucia broke the uncomfortable silence, unable to bare it for a second longer.

The older witch looked up from her own cup of tea and raised her eyebrows, causing Lucia to bow her head in embarrassment.

After a few further moments of silence, the Headmistress finally spoke up, "Mr. Rosier, I am very much under the impression that you were involved in the incident that has occurred?"

"Yes, Professor." He answered with little to know emotion in his tone.

The old witch took a breath and sat her teacup back in front of her, glancing briefly at the attentive portrait of Albus Dumbledore before returning her gaze to the boy in front of her. "And you understand the zero tolerance for violence that this school has?"

"Yes, Professor." Tom said again, his jaw tensing.

"Would you care to explain what made you think that you had the right to inflict such serious curses on Mr. Crouch?" She continued, sending an expectant look at the wizard across from her that had a glint of dislike lacing it.

"He was being, unreasonable, to Miss Cohen, and I see now that I lost control of my temper inappropriately. I apologise for the disruption I caused and assure you it will not occur again." Tom carefully responded.

"Is this what you observed, Miss Cohen?" McGonagall turned to Lucia now, who seemed almost dazed out in shock.

"Tobias was... speaking ill of me Professor, he had been for a while now and I think he just pushed too far this time. This doesn't excuse Tom's actions, but it wasn't without reason that he... lost control of himself." Lucia spoke rather quiet.

"Mr. Rosier, do you understand the seriousness of your actions?" The Headmistress questioned Tom.

"I do, Professor."

"I am not even going to touch on the inappropriateness of you entering the Ravenclaw common room, let alone the girls dormitories today." McGonagall said sternly with a judgmental look, "However, I seem to have been granted a basic understanding of the situation from what I overheard. I do apologise, as my intention was not to eavesdrop. But the... volume... meant it was difficult to avoid doing so."

"Again, Professor. I'm really sorry for the crude..." Lucia began to defend again.

"I see there are tensions between not only you and Mr. Crouch, but also each other. I therefore feel I have duty of care to check in with you both." The Headmistress had her hands clasped on her lap, "I am not blind to the presence of complex relationships between students, and I urge you to consider your own wellbeing in your decision to pursue such a thing." McGonagall's eyes rested on Lucia, her eyes speaking that which she didn't say.