twenty-seven: comfort

COMFORT

When Lucia appeared in the gap between two apartment blocks, she let out a breath she hadn't known she'd been holding.

The pressure from all directions that came with apparition had been an uncomfortable but welcomed sensation, allowing at least a moment of distraction from the pain in her chest.

She wiped her eyes once more, collecting the final tears that had escaped, before walking towards the street and to the entrance of the apartment block she'd been to in previous times of strife.

She stepped into the elevator with a blank expression, and was joined by a man who appeared in his early twenties.

"Long night?" He spoke, eyeing her appearance with sympathy.

Lucia could only imagine what a mess she looked, her lavender silk set askew, hair matted, mascara smeared and glitter all over her.

"You have no idea." She managed a dry chuckle, her voice raspy in her aching throat.

"Well I hope everything works out." The man said, before getting out on his floor. Lucia forced a hollow closed-lip smile, not even maintaining it to see the doors slide closed again.

When she finally made it to the floor she desired, she stepped out of the elevator on shaky legs and walked to the door she knew only in times of need.

Lucia raised her hand and knocked gently, looking at her feet awkwardly as she waited for an answer.

The door creaked open, revealing a tired looking Mel in a silk nightgown, her dark curls hidden behind a night cap that protected them overnight.

"Lucia? Oh my God, are you okay?" A worried expression washed over her face, and she pulled Lucia towards her into a tight embrace.

Lucia couldn't fight the tears from falling again, and she breathed raggedly into Mel's shoulder.

"Shhh, it's okay." Mel spoke softly, patting Lucia's hair, "Come inside, let's get you cleaned up."

She lead Lucia into her small apartment. The warm air was comforting, and the dim lighting calmed the headache piercing her temples.

Mel gestured for Lucia to sit on the couch, walking to the kitchen herself. "Do you want tea?" Mel asked, flicking her kettle on and looking over at Lucia's position on the couch. Lucia forced a nod in reply.

Soon Mel brought over two steaming mugs and passed one to Lucia, seating herself next to her.

Lucia sipped from the mug, the warming sensation calming her aching throat and allowing heat to swell through her whole body.

"What happened? Is it your mum and Don?" Mel asked softly, placing a comforting hand on Lucia's knee.

Lucia shook her head, looking at her lap whilst begging herself not to cry again.

"Is it Tom?" Mel continued.

Lucia raised her head and nodded.

"Did you two break up?" Mel asked gently.

Lucia exhaled deeply, "I- I don't know what we were in the first place, but he... lied to me."

"I'm so sorry." Mel comforted.

"I just... He... I don't even know what to say." Lucia paused, taking a few deep breaths, "Everything was so good... and then it just wasn't. He isn't who I thought he was."

"That's horrible." Mel said sympathetically.

"It's not even that it just effects me too... other people are... impacted." Lucia attempted to explain, not being able to reveal much, "I just can't be near him."