eight: singing

SINGING

The next few days up until the weekend went by rather quickly, mostly consisting of hanging around the hotel room or venturing to a spot around the city for food.

But tonight, Lucia had convinced Tom to go with her to a birthday party held at a bar.

The noise and obnoxious chatter that came with those kinds of public places was quite unappealing to him usually, but he'd agreed to let her show him the life he could live.

Lucia had begun her hair and makeup in the bathroom, and Tom chose to wear a pair of black pants with a white button up shirt.

She was playing music from her phone, a mixture of rap and rock music in her playlist.

Tom hadn't heard music like this, but her figure swaying along in the bathroom was enough to make him fond of it.

She was wearing a leopard print two-piece set, that was a small singlet that tied at the front for the top and a short skirt at the bottom.

After she'd misted on perfume and stepped into her black heels, she walked out to grab a purse and black leather jacket.

"When we enter the bar, you'll have to show an ID. I've bewitched this one to look like you and say you're overage. Just don't look too guilty when you give it to the bouncer." She laughed, handing him a slender card with his face on it.

Tom put on his jacket and placed the card in his pocket. They then walked out the door to meet the Uber out the front.

Tom held the door open for her to get inside the car, then followed her into the back seat of the vehicle.

The Uber driver greeted them warmly, offering them mints from a bowl in between the seats.

They both took one, and he pulled out onto the road.

"Is there going to be dancing?" Tom questioned, curious to know what he was in for this night.

"Oh yes. I also may have not told you on purpose, but it's a karaoke bar. So, there will be singing." She leaned to the other side of the car as she waited for his reaction.

His eyes went wide, "I am not singing."

"You don't have to! It will just be a good night, catching up with them. But hopefully some of the others will have enough to drink to build up the courage to get up there." She laughed at the thought.

Tom huffed. He didn't like not knowing everything about an event he was going to.

The journey took longer than the short distance would have normally taken due to the high quantity of traffic on the streets.

While in the car, Lucia showed Tom the different friends who would also be attending so he knew who most of them were.

He was very fast at picking up names and faces, so he remembered most of them quite quickly.

They pulled up outside the bar, and Lucia thanked the driver as they both got out.

They entered the bar, flashing their IDs to the bouncer at the door who waved them past.

A tall brunette caught Lucia's eye as she entered, and she ran over to greet her.

"Lucia, oh my God! How are you? I feel like I haven't seen you in forever!" The girl said, and Tom recognised her from a photo he'd seen on Lucia's phone of them at a bar together in scandalous outfits.

"It's been way too long, I've missed you so much Mel." She said into the brunette's hair.

"Who's this hottie you've brought with you?" Mel asked quietly as they pulled out of their embrace.