sixty-one: released

RELEASED

It's funny how a place can become more homely over time, without the actual environment changing.

She supposed this meant the change could be attributed to her instead.

The time had felt like both an eternity and a blink of an eye. So much had happened it such a short time, but she also almost couldn't imagine her life outside.

The zipper to her suitcase met the other, and Lucia pulled the trunk from the bed onto the floor. She had packed all her belongings into her bags for her departure later that morning.

After a few slip ups, three months ended up turning into five, but Lucia was feeling the best she could ever remember.

The medical cleanness of the room had grown on her, and she would almost miss the chemical smell of disinfectant when she left. It wasn't that she didn't want to leave, she really did. But the safety and security of the centre was so comforting, being constantly supported to make the right decisions.

It had been strange having a muggle school tutor coming in almost daily to continue her education, especially considering her schooling over the years had been purely at Hogwarts.

Nonetheless, being made to work in the kitchens for the evenings had taught her skills she didn't realise she needed so badly. If she was being honest, learning how to cut an onion without crying was probably the most revolutionary for her.

And then there was the exercise. Being introduced to the gym and fitness classes was something she didn't imagine she would enjoy. However, the endorphin rush she could get from it was incredible, she had taken to going almost every day. She would come out red faced and covered in sweat, feeling so elated and motivated.

Now it was up to her though.

No longer would she have someone helping her question her thoughts. No longer would there be someone checking her bag when she got back from the gym. No longer would she be in a secure environment without temptations.

It wasn't like she would be completely abandoned, with weekly meetings with her psychologist. But Lucia was now going to make her own decisions.

And then there was Tom...

The visitation had been purely limited to family during the duration of her stay.

Of course, there was a screaming meltdown and many threats of running away involved when she was first told.

The reaction when Lucia's mother and stepfather had come for their first and only visit, combined with her already experiencing intense withdrawal was one she wasn't entirely proud of. However, given the history she couldn't say they didn't deserve it.

It was only then that she finally talked to a professional about what Don had done. It was both terrifying and relieving to admit it to someone she wasn't close to. But since talking about it, she truly felt like she understood herself.

Bette had left two months into Lucia's stay, but not without sneakily leaving her contact details for Lucia for when she too was out. They had become close over the days they had spent together, realising how much they had in common. Any potential romance had been diminished by a close friendship that helped Lucia stay on track and avoid loneliness in a place filled with such hopelessness.

A knock at the door pulled her from her thoughts.

"Lucia honey, your mother and friends are here for you. I just need you to sign a few discharge forms then you're free to leave." The curly haired counsellor, Dr. Jo announced with a smile.