sixty-six: the pensieve

*possible trigger warning for this chapter*

THE PENSIEVE

Tom felt McGonagall retreat from his mind finally, they both leant back out of breath from the exertion.

The older witch walked around to sit at her desk, regaining her composure after a long period of delving through Tom's memories.

Tom knew better than to talk yet.

After a few moments of silence, she spoke.

"Mr. Riddle, I must ask you now to be honest as to whether there is anything in your mind that you have concealed from my observation." Her beady eyes met his gaze.

"Nothing that was of use for your understanding, only those which you would not desire to see I concealed." Tom answered cooly.

She took another moment of rumination.

"I do not approve of your illegal time travelling, I assure you." The witch continued, "Nor do I think you a completely reformed and seperate person from that who will tear the wizarding world to pieces."

Tom nodded understandingly, he wasn't in any kind of position to claim himself a saint.

"But I do see the stark contrasts from the Voldemort I knew." Her eye twitched at the name, Tom could only imagine the memories it churned up in her. "I know that I must let history run its course, and therefore allow you to return to your time. As tempting as it is to attempt to change the past, I am not naïve to the consequences of doing so."

Tom stayed silent, allowing the professor to air out her mind.

"Therefore, I bid goodbye to you Tom Riddle. I expect you shall meet me when you are older and I younger, but I should like to never lay eyes on you again in the present." McGonagall finished.

"Thank you, Professor." Tom said when he sensed the witch was finished talking to him, "I cannot say I look forward to that meeting in the past, but I wish you all the best for the future."

The headmistress gave him a curt nod, and he took this as a sign to depart. He rose from his seat, sparing one last look at the portrait of his former professor.

"Until we meet again." He said with a small smirk.

The old bearded man's eyes just sparkled.

"Oh, and one last thing." Tom said as he was about to leave the office. "I was wondering if you'd do me one final favour."

***

As he stepped out from the office and into the corridor, his eyes instantly met Lucia. She pushed herself off the wall and wrapped her arms around him tightly. He could feel the anxiety buzzing around her.

"Thank fuck, I thought they were going to bring the Aurors in." She mumbled into his neck.

"Do you not trust the purity of my thoughts? I am offended." Tom chuckled, stroking her hair gently as he indulged in their close proximity.

She let a small laugh out, breath tickling his pulse point.

He gently retracted from her and laced their fingers together, a sympathetic smile indicating to her that it was time to go to the forest.