epilogue part one: soporific

epilogue 1/3: SOPORIPHIC

2023

"Mum! Dad told me I could only have one chocolate biscuit, but I always get two!" A tugging comes from Lucia's pant leg. She looks down at her son with sympathy.

"I'm sure he just didn't know, let's go get you two biscuits." Lucia smiled, running her hands through Kasper's blonde locks.

When they walked into the kitchen, Lucia looked through into the living room to see him pacing back and forth in irritation with a stack of parchment in his hands.

Work had been stressful for him lately, so she didn't want to interrupt with nonsense like biscuits.

She opened the kitchen cupboard quietly, pulling out the jar of cookies she'd made the day before. After unscrewing the lid, she offered the jar to Kasper so he could take two. She then took one for herself and replaced it into the pantry.

With one last look into the living room, she ushered Kasper back up the stairs so she could get him ready for his school tutor to arrive in half an hour.

She heard the door to the office slam as she was pulling Kasper's neatly ironed shirt over his head, smoothing it down on his small frame.

Once Kasper was ready, she lead him down to the study and instructed him to get his things out. The doorbell rung moments later, and Lucia rushed to answer it.

"Miss Cohen, so lovely to see you again." The tutor gave a warm smile.

"You two Mrs. Abbott. Come on in, he's waiting for you in the study." Lucia gave a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes.

The woman led herself to meet Kasper, and Lucia breathed a sigh of relief as she went about her own afternoon business.

She was hosting a dinner party that night, so the crayon drawings and ministry paperwork strewn across the dining table had to be organised so guests could sit.

Organising them and ensuring the whole house appeared presentable took longer than she expected. It was well into late afternoon by the time she finished. She saw out Kasper's tutor and changed her clothes for the dinner.

House elves were busy in the kitchen, having been hired especially for the occasion to cook a multiple course dinner. Lucia was incredibly relieved to not have to do that job.

She chose a floral dress for the night, pinning her hair up in a way elegant enough to convince anyone she had always been this high class. Once she slipped on a pair of white pumps, she headed to the office to warn him the guests would arrive shortly.

Lucia knocked on the door, listening for a moment to ensure she wasn't interrupting anything important.

The door clicked open by itself, slowly revealing the room to her.

In the large chair that sat behind the desk, Tobias had reclined himself. He appeared worn out, with dark circles giving him a gloomy and miserable appearance.

"What's up darling?" He spoke, rubbing the bridge of his nose as he tossed the parchment in his hands onto the desk.

"I just wanted to let you know that the guests for tonight will be arriving soon, if you'll be joining us." She looked at him in a way that implied she wanted him there. The thought of making up an excuse for him to everyone sounded dreadful.

"You look lovely." He gave a smile that didn't reach his eyes.

"Thank you. Will you be joining us?" Lucia spoke hopefully.