fifty-two: déjà vu

DÉJÀ VU

Madame Pomfrey and Professor McGonagall came rushing down the hill, the white fabric of the healer's robes starkly contrasting to the black of the headmistress' as they billowed behind them in the wind. At their heels followed Jared and Apollo, rather worried expressions on their faces.

To her relief, Tobias was still breathing when Lucia hovered her hand over his mouth.

Tom was out of sight now, having left without another word, which Lucia was thankful for. She couldn't look at him right now.

"Miss Cohen, step away. We're going to levitate him up to the hospital wing." McGonagall advised as they arrived at the scene.

Lucia obliged, standing up and wiping off her tear stained cheeks as she looked down at him before her.

It was all because of her.

Madame Pomfrey cast a spell so that Tobias' limp body hovered about three feet off the ground, and began moving it smoothly in the direction of the castle.

Jared and Apollo walked with Pomfrey beside their fellow Slytherin, sharing a couple of hushed words with the occasional look back at Lucia.

"Miss Cohen..." McGonagall snapped Lucia from her trance staring at Tobias' floating body.

"It's all my fault, Professor. I'm so sorry." Lucia didn't even notice she was crying again, pleading eyes reaching the headmistress.

"You mean to say this is your doing?" McGonagall seemed shocked, skeptical even.

"No, no... I didn't. But it was because of me." Lucia wiped at her eyes, trying to stop the tears.

"You are going to need to tell me everything that happened, Miss Cohen." McGonagall's usual stern tone was gentler, "I understand this is distressing, and if you should prefer us to use your memories..."

"No, I can tell you." Lucia rushed out a little too hurriedly, but the last thing she needed was people digging around her memories full of Tom Marvolo Riddle.

"For now, let us ensure Mr. Crouch is okay. But then we shall need to talk." McGonagall assured Lucia, putting a carefully comforting hand on her shoulder for a second before directing her to walk back towards the castle with her.

***

Lucia was pacing back and forth outside the infirmary, Madame Pomfrey having been strict in that she couldn't come in until Tobias had been tended to.

The door creaked open, and Lucia's eyes shot up to see Madame Pomfrey as she looked at Lucia with sympathy.

"He'll be okay, and he's becoming conscious now. You can have a couple of minutes, but then he needs rest so the potions can kick in." The witch informed her, opening the door and gesturing for Lucia to come inside.

Lucia rushed into the room, heading straight for the only occupied bed in the room at that moment. It was late afternoon, and the sun was at the right angle to give a warm glow to the room.

Tobias was covered in bandages and what looked like the residue of different potions and essences. His skin was flushed and his hair damp from sweat, but his eyes were open and dazed.

"Tobias..." Lucia whispered as she pulled a seat to sit beside his bed.

Tobias turned his head sharply to look at her, his eyes narrowing when he saw who it was.

"What the fuck are you doing here? Shouldn't you be off with your psycho boyfriend?" He spat, but his throat was dry and his words lacked their usual bite.