Chapter 1 - Introductions

The first chapter is dedicated to Chiqelata because she was the first to respond to my upload on my new obsession! :P

Happy reading!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sana pov:

"Well! Looks like someone is excited about the first day of school." I grinned at my mother as I walked down the stairs. "Of course I'm excited! We just moved here and I'm looking forward to the new school life and all the new friends I'll make." I plopped down at the dining table and was rewarded with the heavenly smell of pancakes. The maids greeted me with smiles and I wished them a pleasant morning in return.

My name is Takamura Sana [a/n: name means resplendence/brilliance]. I'm 16 years old and presently in my second year of high school. My mother and I just moved to Tokyo city, Japan and today I'm starting my fist day at my new high school.

My father is a very famous businessman and he's always busy running his company – Takamura Enterprises. My father's business is spread across the world and we didn't really live a specific country we lived in until now. Since father is always travelling, mother and I always tagged along and I never stayed in the same school for more than a year. Well, my mother is one of the leading fashion designers in the world and she shifted her office everytime we moved.

That wasn't the case for me though. I constantly had to shift schools and neighborhoods as my parents travelled. Which is why I never had any close friends. I was a floating student in every school I went and well, because of my father's status, many people hesitated to talk to me. They usually preferred to keep their distance. It's not like they weren't friendly. They were hesitant and spoke to me only during class discussions or group works. And I never got a chance to meet anyone outside school because my schedule was pretty hectic too.

But since I came to high school and its a turning point to decide my career, my mother thought that I should stay in one school for a few years to get a one track education until I graduate. So it was decided that we would live in Japan and my mother would set up her office here. We would have to travel occasionally but that's better than having to shift our place of staying so frequently. Besides, father would visit us whenever he visited Japan and I could concentrate fully on my studies.

I had always been a loner in school so now I was hoping that I would make some nice friends here. Well, it's not that I felt depressed that I didn't have friends to talk to....because you could say I was unique. I don't know when it started or why I had this ability. But for as long as I remember, I could see ghosts. You know, people's souls that remained on the earth with lingering feelings or wishes unfulfilled. I could talk to them ever since I was a child and many of the spirits felt happy when I spoke to them.

At first, I never knew that I was the only one who could see them. I used to point out to them and talk to them in front of other people. Everyone called me a freak and I never understood why. But as I grew up, I understood that it was something most people didn't feel comfortable with. I understood that it wasn't normal and got a little concerned about me being able to see spirits. So after that, I kept it to myself.

I shut my ability out, trying to hide it from everyone's gaze. I felt nervous when I saw spirits and I shut my eyes tightly when one suddenly popped up in front of me so that I wouldn't make people around me think I had gone crazy....but that wasn't such a good idea. Once a spirit popped up in front of me when I was crossing the road. I was almost hit by a car and instead of people calling me a freak, they yelled at me calling me an idiot and telling me to stay alert while walking on the road. It was a very lucky miss actually.

But no matter what I did, this ability didn't fade. So as time passed, I learned to accept it as a part of me. It took time, but I made attempts to ignore spirits even though I saw them. But the spirits knew that I could see them so sometimes I spoke to them when I was alone. They were actually nice to talk to. More than real friends, I think the spirits were the ones who spoke to me on a daily basis. I got used to their presence and there were a few nice spirits with whom I had conversations with almost everyday.