Chapter 41 - Escape

Sana pov:

I looked up at Sousuke. I was walking a step behind him despite him holding my hand; so I couldn't see his face. I glanced at his hair and bit my bottom lip. I needed to clear my head and think properly. But I needed to distract myself a little to do so.

Taking the chance, I reached out with my free hand to touch his hair. But I couldn't get far because of my bruised wrist. I clenched my jaw tightly, trying to ignore the pain and make as less movement as possible. I still wanted to touch his hair....I was really stupid, wasn't I? Instead of trying to come up with a plan now, I was trying to touch Sousuke's hair to calm down. But I had already come to a decision that there was no real plan I could come up with no matter how much I thought about it.

I finally managed to touch his hair and run my fingers through it. It was just as silky as it was when it was short and I held a few strands in my fingers. My eyes stung and the tears threatened to fall, but I froze when I felt Sousuke shift. I could tell that he had turned his head to look at me. His senses were probably heightened quite a bit along with his reiatsu, so I guess it was only natural that he was able to tell I was doing something. But I think he realized what I was doing so he turned back around and continued to pull me along.

"You like touching my hair so much, Sana?" He broke the silence and I flinched, letting go of it immediately and letting my hand fall to my side. The sudden movement sent an electric shock through my wrist and I sucked in a sharp breath. I didn't say anything after that which made Sousuke just chuckle again. "You don't have to stop. I didn't say that I don't like it." He said but I stayed silent.

We made it to Karakura town a few minutes later and my heart thudded again. I could see that all the people were asleep probably because of being sent to Soul Society but I frowned when I sensed Keigo and Tatsuki. They were awake and their reiatsus were moving. I could even sense Chizuru and Michiru with them

I was starting to breathe heavily and my body was starting to get stiff. They were awake. I'm sure they were freaked out by seeing that the whole town was asleep. And they had no idea of what was going to happen now....that Karakura town was going to be wiped out in a mere second by Sousuke. This was bad....real bad. I was slowing down and Sousuke noticed.

"Walk faster, Sana. Or do I have to pick you up and carry you the rest of the way?" I snapped my head up to Sousuke. I should fight him. I should try and do something to buy time. Someone would turn up to stop him, right? I had to believe.....the world couldn't end like this! I couldn't stay silent and let this happen! I had to do something! I have to fight him, subdue him! Anything! I couldn't let my friends get hurt! I couldn't let my parents get hurt! I couldn't let innocent people get hurt!!

"Its futile." I snapped out of my thoughts when he spoke again. He reached for my neck and snapped off the necklace from my neck; throwing it aside like it was a piece of trash. My eyes went wide. I hadn't even realized that I had raised my reiatsu so high while I was thinking about trying to fight him. I looked at him and he had a frown. "Do you plan on fighting me, Sana? Do you think you can win?" I froze, my blood running cold at the challenging and annoyed hint his voice had to it. I looked away, blinking rapidly as my vision got glassy.

What was I thinking just now? I was thinking of trying to fight him, wasn't I? But I couldn't.....I wasn't strong enough. I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to protect the people I love. I was afraid of betraying the feelings I had for Sousuke. I didn't know what to do....I don't know what to do, darn it!

I lifted my free hand holding my head, feeling like it was ready to split at the pressure of the decision I had to make now. My eyes were wide, my body was trembling. I unconsciously tightened the grip on Sousuke's hand and my knees felt weak. No....what can I do? What should I do?! What do I do?!