Chapter 42 - Pierced right through

Sana pov:

We ran a good distance away from Ichimaru san and Sousuke. I could feel both of their reiatsus rising and falling and at one point, Ichimaru san's reiatsu shot up like crazy. Sousuke's didn't exactly reduce, but his wavered quite a bit. We stopped when we had put some distance between them and us and I looked back. I could feel something happening. Something not right. I narrowed my eyes and decided to head back to where Sousuke and Ichimaru san were.

"You guys stay here! I'll be right back!" I told the others and ignored their calls for me not to go. I ran back the way we had come to the spot where Sousuke and Ichimaru san had been left behind. When I reached Ichimaru san and Sousuke though, Sousuke was holding his chest, blood dripping from a wound. "So now you will die just as you wanted, with a hole in your heart." Ichimaru san said and my eyes went wide. "Kill him: Kamishini no Yari." Ichimaru san said a spell letting Sousuke's chest literally get eaten away in an instant, leaving a huge hole. Ichimaru san reached out to snatch away the Hougyoku but managed to escape as Sousuke swung his arm out at him.

I don't know where Ichimaru san escaped to, but my heart pounded in my ears as I watched Sousuke. He fell backwards; I felt like my heart got ripped into pieces seeing him like this. "Sousuke!!" I screamed, dropping my Naginata and running to him as he fell to the ground. I couldn't stop the tears that fell from my eyes as I ran and I caught Sousuke just before he hit the ground.

He was heavy; I couldn't really support his weight easily. I caught him by his shoulders and my arms hurt as they took most of the impact. I supported him against my chest as I collapsed to my knees under his dead weight. I cradled his head in my lap letting my tears fall on his cheeks, and rolling off to fall on the ground instead.

"S-Sousuke.....Sousuke....no...why is this happening?" I mumbled as I touched his hair and his face gently. I didn't want him to die! Yes, I wanted to stop him, but I just couldn't see this! The huge hole in his chest, the look of shock in his eyes. I shut my eyes and bit my tongue to control the tears. I wanted to see his calm confident smile....not the shock or this ripped up body of his! A hole in his chest?! It was just such a bad way to die! I wanted him to have the look of victory on his face even if he had been defeated.....not like this at all....

But I stiffened, snapping my eyes open when his body pulsed. I watched him as he got up and screamed loudly. His eyes were glowing white, the reiatsu in and around his body going haywire. Bright light enveloped him and the wind picked up like crazy. I shielded my eyes from the light, putting up my barrier to hold off the sudden explosion of his reiatsu.

When it stopped, I looked up at the sky sensing him there instead of next to me and my eyes went wide. Sousuke was alive, the same long hair and purple eyes, but he had a third eye on his forehead and he had wings like a butterfly....three sets of wings actually. His reiatsu had gone up even more and his image shattered into pieces disappearing from my view. I sensed him close to my friends and I cursed. Besides, Ichimaru san's reiatsu was also there. I got up, picking up my Naginata and using Shunpo to catch up with him.

By the time I got there though, Sousuke had already destroyed the road and Ichimaru san was lying on the debris bleeding. "Ichimaru san! Sousuke!" I yelled and ran to them. I had to heal Ichimaru san! I couldn't let him die either. He had been so nice to me when I was in Hueco Mundo and I was already feeling bad that I was not there to help when Tousen san had died.

I jumped over the debris making my way to Ichimaru san, but I froze when Sousuke appeared in front of me. I gasped, stepping back, but he took such a tight hold on my arms, I yelped at the pain as I dropped my Naginata. "S-Sousuke..." I looked up at him, clenching my jaw to keep from whimpering. "So in the end, you decided to betray me as well." He stated and my chest clenched tightly. He sounded angry and....hurt. I didn't expect him to sound hurt.....but his voice sounded that way making me feel guilty.