Chapter 8 - Meeting the captains

Sana pov:

I felt slightly intimidated when I entered the meeting room. I had been feeling these reiatsus ever since we entered Seireitei but now it was close to crushing me. All the people who were standing there wore the usual shinigami outfits, but they also had long white capes over it. The minute we entered, they didn't look at Ichigo, Orihime or Sado. They stared at me alone. And even though I had been told that my reiatsu was extremely high where most people would feel suffocated, I hadn't felt my own reiatsu before. So I couldn't tell if these guys had a higher or lower reiatsu than me.

But either way, there were so many of them and each reiatsu was terrifyingly high. Especially the one of the old, long beard man who stood in front of all of them.

We walked closer to them and stopped at the end of the two lines of people gathered there. I felt really uncomfortable here as people stood barely a few feet away from me. The room was silent and I just stared at the ground nervously.

"So, you are the human that possesses great reiatsu." I looked up when the old man spoke. His voice had a ring of authority to it and none of the captains had taken their eyes off of me. I managed a smile as I nodded. "Yeah, that's me, sir....its a pleasure to meet you. My name is Takamura Sana." I said softly. "Well, despite the rumor of her reiatsu, it looks like she has some decent manners." I looked up at a person who looked like a fox. His golden eyes pierced me and I gave another hesitant smile.

"I am the captain commander, Genryusai Yamamoto. And I would ask the captains to tell you their names as well." He waved his hand to the others and I gave a short bow with my head. "11th squad captain, Zaraki Kenpachi!" "10th squad captain, Hitsugaya Toshiro." "1st squad captain, Kyoraku Shunsui." "6th squad captain, Kuchiki Byakuya." "13th squad captain, Ukitake Jushiro." "12th squad captain, Kurotsuchi Mayuri." "2nd squad captain and commander in chief of the royal guard, Sui Fong." "4th squad captain, Unohana Retsu." "7th squad captain, Komamura Sajin."

After they had all introduced themselves, I felt a little better. They didn't seem like mean people even though they looked really strict. So this time, my smile was genuine. "It's nice to meet all of you." "Sana, take off the necklace so they can feel your reiatsu." Ichigo said and I nodded to him. I took off the necklace over my head and handed it to Orihime to hold onto. When I looked back at the captains, I stiffened at the glares I was getting. Although, only one of them, Kenpachi san was grinning madly. "Now this is a reiatsu worth fighting against!"

Yamamoto san had opened his eyes to watch me as well and I sweatdropped. "Uh....is something wrong?" "Hmmm, this reiatsu is rather intriguing. I cannot sense any possibility of you being a shinigami and yet, your reiatsu is even higher than mine." Yamamoto san said. Even higher than his?! That's crazy!! He's the captain commander and supposedly the strongest and wisest shinigami in Soul Society! How was it possible that I, an absolutely normal human, well maybe not so normal, but normal enough human, had a reiatsu even higher than his?! It just didn't make sense!

"In any event, I think its best if you put on the necklace again." Yamamoto san said and I took the necklace back from Ichigo and put it on. "It looks like a case that has to be investigated. Why don't you leave her to me, captain commander? I will use whatever means possibly to figure out why she has such power." Mayuri san said. I didn't like the tone of his voice or the way he was watching me. He looked like he was willing to dissect me into pieces to do his so called investigation.

"No, I don't think so, Kurotsuchi taichou. Immediate action is required to find out about her possible dormant abilities, but I cannot take the risk of using your ways of research. We will use the Chushutsu-Ki to extract her reiatsu and trigger her abilities to awaken. I do believe you can get it ready with the help of Kyoraku taichou." Mayuri san didn't seem too happy that he wasn't being allowed to use his own method....and honestly, I was glad.