Chapter 40 - Devastation

Sana pov:

What did this guy mean, Sousuke had gone to Karakura town to forge the King's Key?? Was he really going to take all the lives of all the people in Karakura town? What about the thing about using my reiatsu?! He said that he just needed my reiatsu and he wasn't going to hurt anyone in Karakura town!

Forging the King's Key there obviously meant he was planning to destroy every last bit of Karakura town's essence. My eyes stung hard and I swallowed thickly. My jaw was slack; I was unable to digest the fact that Sousuke had lied to me yet again and I had been fooled by him so easily. I really am stupid, aren't I?

I clenched my jaw and my fists tightly, the hurt and pain being replaced by worry and anger. I looked at the Arrancar and he seemed to notice the change in my expression. Taking a deep breath, I gave him a hard stare. "Open the Garganta." I said in a low voice. He hesitated as he watched me. "Sana sama....I'm not allowed to open the Garganta without Aizen sama's permission." He said warily making me glare harder. He flinched back at the expression in my face but I stood firm.

"I said open the Garganta...NOW." I hissed through my teeth making him flinch even more. "Sana sama....I....Aizen sama....and...." "Sousuke threatens you merely with his reiatsu. But I'm not like him. If you don't do as I say right now....I will pound you to the ground." He knew I was being serious. The look in my eyes itself was enough to make this Arrancar cower back in fear. And he didn't risk making me angrier than I already was.

He held up his hand in a sigh and closed his eyes to concentrate his reiatsu. A few seconds passed and a rather small Garganta opened up. It didn't matter though; I could easily fit through it. I didn't bother taking a second glance at the Arrancar as I shot out into the Garganta. It was the same dark space that I hated walking through, but right now, I had bigger things to worry about. I had a bad feeling about what I would see when I entered the human world. Would the captains be there fighting Sousuke? Or soul they already be defeated or killed? Or even worse, would Karakura town already be wiped out and would I see Sousuke holding the King's Key with a look of victory on his face?

To make things worse, I knew I wasn't strong enough to fight and win against Sousuke either because of the Hougyoku. Besides, my affection for him wouldn't let me hurt him. I knew just before giving him a blow, I would hesitate and he would turn the fight around. He himself had told me that my hesitance was my biggest weakness. I didn't have the courage to hurt anyone to begin with so how would I hurt someone I loved so much? How could I?

My eyes stung as I ran through the Garganta. A few tears of frustration managed to escape and I wiped them off furiously with my arm. After a few moments, I could see the blue skies of the human world in the distance. I was starting to feel several reiatsus and one terrifyingly strong reiatsu. The reiatsus of the captains and even Hirako from school were all so faint, like they were barely alive. I couldn't feel Tousen san's reiatsu at all and neither could I sense any Arrancar. Urahara san, Yoroichi san, Ichigo and another reiatsu I hadn't felt before were grouped together. Ichimaru san was close to them too and I was sure that the terrifying reiatsu that was with them belonged to Sousuke.

When I finally made it out of the Garganta, I froze in the air as I looked what I once knew was Karakura town. Almost the entire place had been destroyed; buildings fallen to the ground in pieces, debris everywhere. Roads didn't look like roads anymore; they were just lumps of concrete and glass from buildings destroyed around them.

My eyes darted around, my heart pounding a mile a minute as I saw all the taichous, fuktaichous and even Hirako on the ground, blood pooling around them. Thankfully they were alive and I could tell despite the mangled state of their bodies, they weren't in critical or fatal condition. None of the Arrancar were here either but I could still sense traces of their reiatsus. I looked around more and finally spotted Ichigo sitting on his knees in front of Ichimaru san. Ichimaru san had his sword pointed at Ichigo and a wave of fear went through me.