38. Unknown Visitor.

*Not Edited*

Chapter 38:

"Alice." Sage, wearing a black tank top with shorts to match, opened the door for Alice and I. He saw her eyes were still swollen from old and new fresh tears that kept hitting her unexpectedly. "Here let me." He reached for her bags, but she shook her head. His eyebrows creased in as she threw her body towards his, and he embraced her.

His eyes connected with mine and I nodded to confirm she final knew about her unfortunate upbringing. He held her tighter, "I'm sorry." He mumbled.

I stood outside patiently waiting on her to make the next move. It was a great deal of information she had to still process, and it wasn't going to be easy. "I'm okay." She lied.

"No, you're not." He didn't need her to lie- not to him. "But it's going to be okay." He had to remind her, and for the first time I actually saw the soft side to Sage Corsetti. I closed the door behind us, and locked it while the both of them dismissed themselves into his room with him carrying her bags. I sat my belongings on the couch, before taking a seat myself to take a time out from reality.

This was overwhelming. Everywhere I turned there was always a road block, always reconstruction to be done and I was tired. My shoulders never settled. Never had a good nights rest. But I wasn't alone in this, and I'm still wondering if that's a good or bad thing.

A shiver coursed through my entire frame, and my once tense shoulders started to sag but not completely. A hushed wind fanned my face and that's when I felt Nicholai's presence in front of me. He sat on the edge of the wooden coffee table, but he didn't speak. Instead, his hands sprayed out on top of my knees to stop my obsessive tapping.

But I couldn't look at him. "For how long?" I asked a question.

He didn't respond and that caused me to look him in his eyes, that seemed to be what he was waiting for. And like always, his eyes caught me like a spider weaving it's prey.

He never seemed surprised by none of my questions, but his eyebrows always crease in when he was confused. His wet hair laid on his forehead-they must have been working out or he showered.

"How long Nicholai?" Out of all things that needed to be said to him, I pulled the question my heart desired to hear. "How long have you loved me?"

That night, I thought my mind was playing tricks on me over and over again. And I wasn't one hundred percent sure if it came from him or just in my slumber, but I heard the words. When he didn't answer right away, I casted my eyes back down.

I guess I was hearing things.

"I don't know." He answered.

"You don't?" I pinched my thumb and pointed finger together in my opposite hand.

"I wasn't the one that said it." He took my hand into his to stop me from picking at my skin. "You talk in your sleep."

"I do not." I denied that claim.

"You called me Nicky."

"Okay.." I dragged. I developed a nickname for him in my sleep, but something tells me I've called him that before just by his facial expression-it was neutral but knowing. "But I've called you that before I'm guessing."

"You don't remember much." His tone held disappointment but nonetheless he continued. "It was on..."

November 4th, 2002
                                   (Flashback)

"I'm not sure if this is a good idea.." Olivia expressed her concern to the younger brother.

"Just come on." Sage didn't cater to the sensitive of her feelings. "We can't do anything else anyway." He grumbled the end of his words. Hastily, Sage grabbed his knife set of the secluded shelf that he built just for his equipment.