28. Reunion?

Chapter 28:

Next day.

"What are we going to do with him?" I had to ask the million dollar question. "They'll notice he's gone." I conversed with Sage at the kitchen isle while everyone else was in the living room.

"Adriano's always been known for going 'M.I.A'." Sage put air quotes around it. "If they didn't notice, I wouldn't think this was the right business." He snorted before he grabbed an apple from the select few of other fruits.

"So I picked the right guy then." It was convenient.

"Eh, I don't have a thing for brunettes." Sage took a bite while he spun around in the stool chair in my kitchen.

"Blondes?" I questioned and he stopped spinning.

"How dare you?" He held his hand to his chest like I insulted him. "And no..." Alice entered the kitchen, grabbing a water bottle out of the lower part of the freezer. "Gattina, you came to see me?"

She turned with an eye roll. "You wouldn't quench my thirst Sage, not even a little bit." She flicked him off, before she left again.

"She loves me." He gloated and I laughed. He was adorable sometimes but when Alice had her mind up to hate someone, there was barely any change in that.

"Do you love her?" I had to ask, it was suppose to follow along with his chime but my note was completely off.

"LiLi." He took a glorious bite of his apple again before he turned to me again. "This isn't the 1960's, love doesn't work in here." His tattooed hand came to rest over his heart. "I work up here." He dragged his finger up to rest it against the temple, meaning his brain. "And that works to here." He pointed downward before he winked. "So no I don't believe in it."

"Why not?"

"You do?"

"I love my brother and Alice and sometimes my father." Which reminded me that we still had to talk, he was on bed rest for twisting his ankle in the process of us surviving the attack. Matteo didn't stay long after he arrived and I made another note to find him. We had a long overdue conversation to discuss.

"I wouldn't expect less of you to." Sage sat forward, resting his exposed arms on the countertop like me. "You want to have a girl talk? I've never had one of those." He was growing thrilled at the thought.

"I barely know what that is as well."

"Alice doesn't give you the tea?" He was once again perplexed. "And here I thought I had you two figured out."

"Shut up." I chuckled before brushing my hair over my left shoulder. "But seriously." I began to tap my pointed finger against the surface of the marble. "Why not?"

"Nervous habit." He noticed my tapping. His hand collapsed on top of mine but I didn't get any type of feeling other than a brotherly hold from him. He skimmed the top of my hand with his thumb. "Love isn't meant for everyone."

"Right.."

"Why are you asking me?" The playful Sage was gone and I wanted to cower back into my safe place, he had caught me red headed and he wasn't going to let me slip away.