10. Seek to Kill.

Chapter 10:

"Olivia?" I surged out of my sleep before my hand shot to my gun, but my hand was restrained and if it wasn't for the pad of my brothers thumb to soothe me, he would have been left without a hand. "Hey hey, it's okay."

I inhaled a sharp breath. "Leave me alone." It was a plea almost and I snatched my hand back to my side. "Go!"

"No." He left no room to argue. "Talk to me."

"And say what?" I threaded my right hand into my hair before gripping. "You wouldn't understand.."

Silence followed after what I had said and I knew my brother didn't have anything to say.. what could he say? He wasn't there seeing our mother with a bullet to her skull, he saw her when she was cleaned up and left to be buried because that's all she was- just a corpse.

My brother didn't leave me though instead he pulled my sheets back and laid down next to me. I watched him lay his head back on my pillow before he held out his arms to me and I eyed him cautiously. I knew what this meant, and I didn't want to cry because quite frankly I didn't know if I had anything left in me.

After another minute had passed, I finally gave in and went into my brothers arms. It felt safe enough for me. "Its okay." He mumbled to me before he rubbed my right arm soothingly. "It's not but everything is going to be okay."

"What if I lost you or.." I tried to hold back my tears and the only way to do that was to bite my lower lip. I couldn't even finish my sentence.

"I can't promise you that.." Ethan didn't try to sell me a fairytale and I appreciated that because even if he did, he would be lying.

"I miss her."

"I miss her too Liv."

I turned my head to look up at him. "Do you think the Corsetti family had something to do with it?"

"I can't say for sure, but they are the main targets." He huffed out before he rested his chin on top of my head. "Go to sleep, we can talk about it in the morning."

"It is the morning."

"Well when I can function properly and not hear my little sister yelling from across the hall then wake me up. Okay?"

I had to ask one question before he slumbered off. "Do you remember them?" My memory was still foggy, trying to see if I could reach back and tap into it.

"I was kept away from all of that until I reached a certain age- you know that." So that was a flat no. He was probably just answering to go back to sleep.

It didn't take him long to go back to sleep but it took me at least ten minutes to shut my brain down again..

            "I have a job for you both." My father addressed the both of us as he took his seat and both of our hands shot out at the same time towards the file.

"Sorry." Alice said sheepishly, snatching her hand away and in return I handed her the file before turning my attention back to my father.

"I have a feeling I already know what this consists of." It was rare we went on missions together.

"Yes. But not what you think, I am sending you to have dinner with the Corsetti family-"

"Dinner?" I said, astounded at the idea. "For?"

My fathers eyes turned cold. "If you would let me finish, you would know." He grounded the words at me and I knew I had to choose my next words carefully. "As I was saying, they have something that I want- I can not tell you what it is." He held up his hand to stop my next words. "But I have a business meeting in Seattle in a few hours and I promised to have dinner but I'm sending you two in my sudden absence."