13. Silent Vow.

Nicholai, age 8, Olivia age 5, Sage age 4

Chapter 13:

"Mommy look!" My little feet quickened in pace trying to get down the stairs quickly. "Look I drew you!"

"Olivia." My mother's voice made me stopped in my tracks at her warning voice. "What did I say-"

"Be careful going down the stairs." I hung my head low looking at my picture with guilt. "I won't do it again."

"Once you're big and strong-"

"And tall you can run until you fall but don't come running to me with tears like a waterfall. Yes I know." I kicked at the ground. "Do you want to see?"

"Veins ici." She patted her legs twice and I walked down the three steps carefully holding onto the rails before I skipped over to her.

"See!" I handed it to her and pointed. "That's you, me, and Ethan and Daddy and Alice-"

"It's beautiful sweetheart." My Mom kissed the top of my head. "You're getting better, it's not stick figures anymore." She cheered. "You're actually pretty good at this, do you want to draw? Maybe an artist?"

"Artist?"

"To draw babygirl." She combed through my hair. "Does that sound fun to you?"

"Eh." I shrugged my shoulders, before I saw Dad walk into the living room on the phone as usual. My eyes darted to his waist seeing his gun there all the time. "What does Daddy do?" I lent close to my Mom to whisper to her. "He always has that." I pointed.

She quickly snatched my hand back before holding my tiny hand in hers softly. "Nothing that would concern you baby." She then turned to him. "Dominic, pouvez-vous mettre cela de côté s'il vous plaît."

"We have company in a few minutes Slyvie." He followed her directions and he signaled a very large man over to him and they conversed for awhile before the man hurriedly left the room.

"What's going on?" I tugged on my mother's long dress to get her attention. She bent down and picked me up- much to my disappointment- I was still small in height and weight, and she wanted to enjoy carrying me until I grew up some more.

"We have company." My mother boosted me up and down and quickly secured my hands around her neck to keep from sliding.

"Mama stop." I whined playfully before she carried me on her hip to the door. "Oh look." She pointed, while keeping me balanced. "It's your uncle."

"Uncle?" I squinted my eyes, trying to see who the distance figure was, talking to my father. "I can't see, it's too far." She placed me on the ground again before reaching for my hand and I took hers, still holding my picture.

"Longtime no see Matteo." My mother greeted him and he turned to face her with a heartwarming smile.

He looked young just like my father: his hair was neat, had on a black suit like usual, my father wore stud earrings while he wore little hoops, it fitted him. His grey eyes stared at my mother with affection before his eyes traveled down to the small sized version of her. "Long time no see hm Principessa?" He squatted down in front of me and I tucked myself away behind my mother.

He looked almost appalled by my behavior but my mother was already answering his question. "She doesn't quite remember you."

"I see." He didn't take his eyes away from me. "What do you have there?" His glistening watch almost flashed my eyes in the sunlight as he pointed at my picture.

"Picture." I answered him.

"Can I see it?" He fixed his hand into a palm and he signaled me to go closer and I looked at my mother and father before seeing if it was okay. Taking the three steps needed, I handed him in the picture before waiting for his approval.

"You drew this?" He asked me and I nodded my head. "You know how to draw yourself?"

"That's not me." I giggled. "That's mama, see right here." I pointed so he knew the difference.

"It's beautiful." He handed me back my picture before his eyes shot up to my mother and I could feel her shift beside me before she cleared her throat.

"Where are the little ones?" She asked him. "Please don't tell me you left them alone again."

"No they're in the car." He stood back up before he snapped and pointed to the driver, and with a nod he opened the door to let them out.

Two boys had gotten out of the car: one was giddy while the other seemed unbothered or could careless as they both approached their father.

"Sage, calm down." Matteo chuckled seeing him full of excitement, before placing his hand on his hair ruffling it around.

"Where's my hug?" My mother squatted down and Sage- I guess remembering my mother- ran into her arms.

"I missed you."

"I know." He released her to look at me. "Race you!" He took off the opposite directions towards my treehouse.

"Hey!" I giggled before following after him. "That's not fair!" I didn't even know him but I felt like I should.

I could still hear my mothers voice from a distance. "Nicholai do you want to join them?" I stopped in my tracks, while Sage continued to the tree house while I waited for his brother.

"He doesn't have time for kid games, he's here to train."  Matteo calmly stated with a hard slap to Nicholai shoulder, and from that I knew he was in trouble.

"Not even ten minutes?" My mother practically tried to beg, but her idea was quickly shut down by my father who leaned and whispered something in her ear, and she looked defeated.

My eyes stayed on Nicholai who was looking down at the gravel on the road with his hands in his pockets. "Let's go." Matteo placed his hand on his back to make him move forward, and that's when he looked up and my hands tightened around my picture.

It seemed he looked to me for help but I didn't know what to do.. Would they listen to me?  With a sigh of defeat, he walked with his father and my parents into the house without a second look back.

"Don't worry, I'll save you." I vowed.