40. I Do.

Wedding day

Chapter 40:

"Are you nervous?"

My head snapped up to see my sister standing in front of me with her arms wrapped around her stomach, her fingers brushing her sides up and down in a anxious tense way. Between the two of us she was the one that was obviously nervous, but she wanted to make sure.

"No," I placed the last earring into my ear before taking a step back to see my final look. "this dress is uncomfortable." I fidgeted before trying to straighten out the already silk red material that stopped just a smidge below my knees.

"You don't appreciate fine things," Alice remarked before she came to fix the back of my U cut dress. "There, don't want anything to slip out."

"Ha ha." I rolled my eyes before smoothing out my sleek ponytail. "Everything should go according to plan but I made sure we will be covered."

I talked to Kayden not too long ago, 3 days after Alice and I left to be exact. The conversation was brief and straight to the point, without so much as a 'how are you' attached to it, but the way his hardened voice softened gave me all the hints in the world that he was glad to not be out of the loop anymore- and so was I.

"Are you sure you're not nervous?" Alice asked me again and my face dropped after hearing that question again, this must be how Nicholai was feeling when I would do it to him.

"Alice, I'm fine."

"You threw up this morning so I just assumed.." She trailed off but she dropped the rest of her words, clearly seeing that this wasn't going anywhere, and we had less than 30 minutes to be in the vehicles that would be leaving with or without us.

"It was probably something I ate last night, you know they had every piece of food you can imagine there," I changed the topic back to something light. "you look beautiful by the way."

"Did my sister just give me a... compliment? Wow, I like this new Olivia," Alice gushed before she did a spin and we both watched her white dress spray around in a mini circle at the pool of her legs. The dress reminded me of how innocent she was in all of this, but apart of me was glad that she was taking her life back. She would be able to start fresh. "and after tonight we can finally move on."

My heart took a huge breath while my brain was processing her words easier. It shouldn't be much of a hassle to walk away tonight right? We would have completed this short term but long journey and the mission would be done...

I told myself that I would stay in touch, but I needed to close this chapter in my life.

I no longer wanted to be Olivia Ludavico, the trained assassin after my mother's death, with over 30 kills, men adored me while women envied the woman that they saw before their eyes. Little did they know I still had skeletons in my closet that I had sealed away and I hid the key figuratively.

Until he came along and changed my reality, I was no longer... bitter, cold, or heartless. I only in my lifetime cared about four people and that was my family. A year ago, if a fortune teller would have told me I would be this way, I would have laughed.

Now, my heart is extended out to eleven people and despite the feelings that my siblings and I have toward our father.. he's still our Dad. I had to learn over the course of a few days to forgive his past and his own upbringing that shaped him to be who he is today. What he thought was right was wrong, what he did to Alice was wrong... and what he did to both of our mother's was wrong. Her mother died in a fire trying to save her husband while my mother died from heartbreak.