37. Set Her Free.

Not edited.
Chapter 37:

"Thank you for coming."

Matteo stepped into our home willingly, but this time around he was clean shaved and he had decided to cut his hair off, the light reflected off of his bald cap. He looked new and improved with a grey suit to match the texture of his eyes.

"It's the least I can do." We turned the corner and Ethan, with a look of betrayal across his face, stood to introduce himself properly. It had been a week that past and we were soon approaching the wedding date, but I needed to tell someone about Alice. Who he found to be our baby sister.

"You healed up quickly." Matteo looked Ethan over, his crutches were now replaced with a boot for him walk around in. Ethan grimaced before he sat back down, next to our father who was oblivious to the fact that we knew the truth and someone was going to set it straight. There would be no more lies. "Dominic." Matteo greeted his friend.

"What are you doing here?" Our father looked to me like I had crossed him, but it was the other way around. Alice sat confused as to why she was brought into this conversation, but the four of us needed to tell her.

"Before we start, I just want you to know this doesn't change anything." I sat down next to her, while Matteo took the opposite head of the table. "Just listen." I gave Matteo the floor.

"Uhm," He cleared his voice while our father looked at him with a murderous glare. "Olivia called me down here to explain a few things to you." His palms were shaking a bit, while his voice sounded throaty. He didn't know how to break the ice to tell her a life changing story, that was made for her to believe after her alleged parents were murdered.

"What is this?" Dominic rumbled.

"Just be quiet." Ethan roughly spat, the eyes that once looked at our father with respect was now filled with disappointment. "You don't get to speak anymore."

"Have you lost your mind?" Our father didn't take the disrespect kindly.

"No, but you're about to lose yours." He sat back done with this situation all together. "I can't believe this." He mumbled under his breath, his hand wrapping around the bottom half of his face to cover his nose and mouth, before he huffed. He only stayed glued to his seat because I asked him to.

"What's going on?" Alice insisted on knowing. "Explain what?" She angled her body towards Matteo, her hand coming to rest on top of the table.

"I found something that you should see." He reached into his suit jacket to pull out a vanilla miniature envelope and he placed on the table, but didn't slide it over to her just yet. "Your father didn't die in that fire." He started it off and I cut my eye to my father, who tensed up and I sighed to myself; so all of it was true.

"My parents died in the fire, their bodies weren't recognizable they had to use their dental records to confirm it." Alice informed him, completely clueless. "My father was buried next to my mother."

"The man they buried wasn't your father." He tried again so she would catch the hint. "Your real father." His paled eyes went to Dominic, giving him the chance to claim this moment, and tell his little girl the truth of what happened twenty years ago. Alice followed to see what he was staring at, her eyebrows dropping down to crease in.