32. Hit Me With Your Best Shot.

back to Olivias POV
(After she left)

Chapter 32:

I gave his door two hard knocks before stepping back waiting for him to open the door to his complex. "Who is it?"

"Olivia."

I heard the clicking of locks before the door was thrown open. Matteo eyes looked bloodshot and his clothes were deranged- he reeked of alcohol. He rubbed the top of his head before he scratched his side. "What can I do for you?"

"You've been drinking." I pushed past him to go inside but it wasn't any better, the apartment was filthy with flies and gnats circling around empty and leftover boxes of food sitting on the table. The lamp was knocked over- the blob shattered to pieces. I continued on seeing he had the couch made up like it was his bed with a gun sitting on top of his papers. "Seriously?" I turned to him and he shrugged with his hands in his pocket.

"If I was shameful I wouldn't have answered the door." He went into the kitchen. "Can I get you anything?" He bent down in his refrigerator to see what was available to him.

"Did you and my mother have an affair?"

I heard a bang before he cursed. He came out from hiding, rubbing the back of his head. "Who told you that?" He chastised me while unscrewing the top to his beer. He took a sip before walking around me to sit.

"My father." I gave him his answer, now it was time for him to give me mine.

"Dominic." He laughed to himself before he took another sip. "Your father has a way of twisting words."

"That's not answering my question." I sat in the loft chair. "I'm not leaving until you start talking."

"I'm not sure you're ready for my response." He sat his beer down on the table with the others to give them company.

"Bullshit, it's a yes or no."

"No I didn't have an affair with your mother." His eyes shot to mine sorrowfully "My wife was long gone before then." His laugh was hysterical. "Is that what he told you?"

I nodded.

"Your mother and I were two different people, just like your father, I was in this business but your mother never understood why it even existed." So that part was true. "I loved your mother but in return she couldn't love me back- not in the way that I wanted it to be."

"So you killed her." It was a statement and I was hoping he would deny it.

"Now why would I do that?" He said it like I should be ashamed of myself for even accusing him. "Dominic told you that too?"

I nodded.

"He's a sorry excuse of a man even if I do consider him a friend." He hung his head low before he grabbed his drink from the table. "I didn't kill your mother." He smacked his lips before catching the liquid that ran down his chin.

"Then who did?"

"I don't know." I looked past his drunken eyes to see the truth that laid in his lens. "I've been trying to figure that out myself but it's taken me some time." I could see why it did, he was too busy drinking himself to death.