39. Time Limit.

Chapter 39:

I took a picture of Levi in my head, the geeky student but somewhat attractive man stood in the kitchen with three people, that were suppose to be his enemies and just informed us- rather me- that he wanted to annihilate his family tree.

"I'm sorry.. what?" I closed my eyes for a split second trying to gather the words he just said... he wanted to write off his family?

"In less than a week, yes."

The words slipped my mouth before I could gather them back together to word it better, but there wouldn't be a proper sentence; I would only be lost for words.

"Okay," I turned my attention directly to Nicholai, who was posted up with his lower back pressed to the counter with his arms folded. "this was your plan all along?" I came off snarky, but that was the last thing on my mind. I could finally put Kayden's theories to rest and finally, after all this time, figure out the secret agenda.

"Yes, Levi came to me some time after the dinner with the Beneventi's and offered to do the work for me."

"And you just believe him?" I knew I had trust issues but there was a difference when dealing with vultures; especially when it was a flock of them.

I trained my gun at Levi, "Give me one good reason why I shouldn't kill you right where you stand."

I watched with hardened eyes as he calculated in his head his next move- he was good for it. His tongue swept out to wet his bottom lip from being crusted before he took his glasses off to wipe them; he was nervous. "Just like Nicholai here, I want out of the business. It's not meant for me, never has and never will."

"Everyone has a sob story." I concluded.

"And we should do our best to thrive off of our common goal." Levi placed his glasses back over his eyes before stuffing his hands into his pockets.

"Do you have a chip implant?" My thoughts backtracked to Adriano when he held him captive- every Beneventi had one.

"I deactivate mine from time to time." He talked casually about it, showing off his academic credentials. "Miss Olivia-"

"It's just Olivia." I cut him off from using the formality; I wasn't an elder.

"Right," He cleared his voice. "if you would hear my full proposition then you can decide if you want to use that handgun of yours."

I lowered the gun, "You have five minutes."

       He walked out of the room leaving me dumbfounded, and startled, that he had the plan written down in his brain by memory like a step by step manual that even a toddler would understand. Levi was structured and most importantly he was motivated.

I could see why he was first in his class.

While he was explaining, my once tense shoulders started to relax. I also noted he used his hands a lot when he spoke; he was the paper and pen.

Although he was all of these things, it left me to wonder what had happened to him to give himself permission to kill his family.