Awkward

**

That awkward moment when your asshole friends corner you.

It was so late that most of their friends had done something they rarely did, they had gone to bed.

Well, not all of them.

Lisa shifted, sitting on one of the large logs placed around the fire. Laughter made the air around her spark, as her friends went back and forth with arguments and jokes.

Lisa smiled as she looked around, and saw that she was surrounded by the people in this universe she loved the most.

Chaeyoung was sitting next to her on her left, her golden hair framing her face as she laughed.

Somehow, over the course of the evening, they had drifted closer. Lisa didn't know if she'd slid over to her, or Chaeyoung slid over to her, or if it was both of them, but now they were sitting so close that their thighs touched, and their shoulders brushed constantly, sending tingles down her whole torso.

On the log positioned at an angle next to them, there was Jisoo, Jennie and Somi, who kept shoving Somi so hard that Somi went shooting off of her seat, something that sent everyone into hysterics, even Somi, who most likely ended up covered in bruises.

On the log placed opposite Lisa and Chaeyoung, Irene was stretched out on her side, propped up on one elbow, dark hair falling across her face as she leaned forward with a sly grin to hear whatever Seulgi was whispering.

Since Irene took up a whole log, Jisoo had protested that she deserved a whole one too, and was lying on her back, turning her head to face everyone. One long leg was stretched out and the other bent at the knee as she lay opposite Jennie Somi and Seulgi .

Lisa felt Chaeyoung shiver next to her, and she turned and looked her up and down.

"You cold?" she asked, absently chucking more wood on the fire, which flared and spat.

She nodded. "Freezing, actually." She said, wrapping her arms around herself and pulling her legs up.

"Here." she said, shrugging off her heavy jacket.

"Take this." she said, lifting her arms to drape it over her shoulders.

"Oh no, I can't Lis, you'll get frozen!" She said, beginning to hand it back.

She placed her hand over Chaeyoung, electricity tingling up her arm as she stilled.

"I'll be fine. " she said, her voice hushed as she looked into her eyes.

She stared right back, breathing slowly.

"I'm not feeling the cold right now." she said, shrugging as the contact gained intensity and she was forced to break her hold on her.

She frowned, stuttering before shaking her head visibly. "Yeah... uh, okay, but if you get sick, I'm going to kill you."

She smiled at her as she leaned forward closer to the warmth of the fire, her elbows resting on her knees.

"I have to go get my water." Chaeyoung said, standing up and pulling Lisa's jacket tighter over her and zipping it up. "I could do with a little moonshine."

Lisa watched her go, unable to hold back a grin as she saw how tiny she looked, the jacket hanging down almost to her knees.

She turned back to face the rest of her friends, only to have the smile slip off of her face as she saw the now silent group of teenagers staring at her, all with identical expressions of raised eyebrows.

Lisa shifted awkwardly, their heavy looks wearing her down.

"......what?" she exclaimed defensively.

There was a short silence before Jennie snorted and Jisoo replied with an amused "nothing. "

They stopped staring after that and Lisa relaxed, looking down at the fire and being quickly lost in her wandering thoughts. She was so distracted that she only just noticed Irene lightly hit Seulgi's shoulder.

She thought nothing of it until Seulgi cleared her throat and leaned forward.

"Uh...so." she began, pushing messy hair out of her eyes. "I'm, like, I think, I know that Joy is totally into Wendy." she said, referring to two of the other friends.

"Why do you say that, Seul?" Irene said instantly, and the flat tone of her voice gave Lisa a feeling she knew this conversation was coming.

"Well, she always keeps an eye on her. She barely notices half of the time, and she thinks she's being totally subtle about it, but everyone can see but her."

Lisa froze, not daring to look up from the fire. Maybe if she stayed still for long enough they would think she was dead and leave her alone.

"And she's super protective of her. That, she isn't subtle about at all." Seulgi's voice got louder at the end of the sentence.

Lisa tried to keep a smooth poker face, hoping she could pretend she wasn't listening.

"And she gets all funny when she's around, like her heart is on her sleeve. She always gives her these special smiles and shit, and they always stare at each other for ages."

Lisa considered jumping into the fire.

"And she always teases her, she has a nickname for her and everything. It's sickeningly cute."

Irene nodded. "Yes, Seul," she began, and Lisa withheld a groan at the tone in her voice. "I know exactly what you mean." She carried on. "Have you also noticed the way she gets when she's not around, like she's going insane, but the second she's back it ends? She gets really annoyed and worried and everything, and acts like her life is over."

Lisa stayed perfectly still, not even blinking.

"And she gets all lovey dovey when she's around. I mean, the heart eyes, the fucking heart eyes!" She said, and agreeing groans rose up from the rest of the group.

There was silence for a few seconds and Lisa wondered if it was safe to look up, and she doubted it was, but she bit the bullet and glanced around anyway.

The entire group was staring right at her.

Again.

For the second time that night.

"She should just totally tell her already." Irene said, staring into Lisa's eyes and tightening her voice. "It's really fucking obvious, and she likes her back. "

Everyone nodded and Lisa squinted angrily at them, looking down.

Chaeyoung suddenly appeared, sitting down next to her and patting her leg, bottle in hand, making her jump.

"What?" She said energetically, her bright eyes looking around at the silent group of teenagers, a rare sight, who were all glaring at Lisa. "What'd I miss?"

Jennie started to speak and Lisa cut her off immediately, still looking at the ground. "I have no idea what they're talking about. " she said loudly, and everyone groaned.

But when they ended up being the last two left around the dying fire, the fading light illuminating only the contours of her beautiful face, and Chaeyoung was leaning against her, with Chaeyoung's head on her shoulder, and her arm around Chaeyoung's waist, she turned her friend's words over in her mind, and nervously decided to go for it.

When they later stumbled backwards into her tent, one of Chaeyoung's hands up her shirt and resting on her chest, and the other wound in her dark hair as they kissed like the world was ending, like two people deprived from oxygen their whole lives who had only just been given a mask, she guessed that the assholes had been right.

******

Ctto Ravenwing2000