Check Up

***

There was a thin line between fear and hate. A line so fine that, sometimes, people had a hard time distinguishing which side of it they were on. Because of this, they weren’t able to figure out if they hated things because they were afraid of them, or if they were afraid of them because of the hate. When it came to going to the doctor, Lisa Manoban was one of those people, and for her, the two separate sides seemed to appear as only one. 

There were multiple things about the circumstances surrounding doctors that Lisa Manoban didn’t like. For instance, she wasn’t a fan of hospital gowns or cold instruments touching her in various, unwanted places, and she absolutely abhorred the nose-burning smell of disinfectant, and both the look and feeling of needles. Additionally, more than anything, she hated the discomfort of being asked to answer personal questions; answers she, more often than not, liked to avoid thinking about to begin with, even on her own. 

Nonetheless, more than simply being products of hate, these were all things that Lisa also feared. In her mind, she wasn’t able to pin which emotion came first, but that also wasn’t a thought that mattered. The fact that, outside of the confining walls of Seaside Wellness’ Adult and Family Medicine department, her hatred and fear were quite easy to hide was the important part of this situation — which was exactly how Lisa had managed to turn routine checkups into something she avoided like the plague. 

As an adult, it was a fairly simple feat to disguise such a dread as simple detest, or the activity a nuisance. With a job as demanding and inflexible as Lisa’s could be, using the excuse ‘she had no time’ to actually go to the doctor was never a challenge. But when a few days of coughing fits and sniffling turned into a nearly month-long illness, Lisa’s roommates decided it was time for them to step in and do something. 

The conversation was brought up intervention-style, the day they made a doctors appointment for Lisa and quite literally forced her to go. First, they’d sat her down next to a small garbage can and a box of tissues, each taking turns speaking their mind.

“You’ve had that cough and runny nose for weeks, now.” One of them said.

The other echoed her words and added, “avoiding help isn’t good for your heath, so, we took the initiative to find a doctor for you. Your appointment’s today at 3pm.”

“Guys.” Lisa started, “that’s kinda sweet, but totally unnecessary.” The brunette sniffled and thickly coughed. “Really, I’m fine.”

However, in the end, no matter the excuses Lisa provided nor how many times the three went back and forth, the two other girls’ opinions outweighed the one belonging to her own tiny self.

“I’m literally going to kill you guys!” Lisa declared, feet swinging helplessly as she was lifted by either arm and brought out to the car. There, Lisa very reluctantly relented, an intense look of misery on her face as she was put in the middle of the backseat and endured the ride to the doctor’s office in silence.

“I hate you both,” were the words that finally broke the noiseless air when her roommates pushed her towards the counter to check in, the polite secretary behind the counter assuring Lisa that they’d call her back within a few minutes.

“Lisa?” A nurse promptly called less than ten minutes later, and as she stood, Lisa made sure to shoot a evil glare over her shoulder at her two ‘friends’ left sitting behind. They waved. almost condescendingly, in return before exchanging a triumphant high-five.