High

**

Lisa ached seeing her wife in pain.

Ached. 

The weeks leading up to the big day had left Lisa feeling emotionally drained; a jittery ball of nerves bouncing from one room of their apartment to the next, testing out any and every remedy she could come up with to alleviate her wife's discomfort. Weeding through half-hearted protests of, "I'm fine," and diligently argued pleas of, "I'll do it later," Lisa clawed, begged, borrowed, and stole her way to this particular finish line. 

After a month of grumbled fights and empty threats of a contentious divorce if Chaeyoung didn't stop rescheduling, Lisa could only manage a haphazard sigh at being on the receiving end of her wife's icy glare when they'd finally led her away.

Because Chaeyoung had eventually agreed to the procedure, albeit with an air of begrudging resignation, having spent the days leading up to the appointment grumpily preparing Lisa for what to expect. 

And she thought she did know what to expect. Lisa had fully anticipated the swollen cheeks and glazed eyes that greeted her when the nurse had called her back. She'd expected the blood tinted dribble of drool that leaked from the lax hang of her wife's mouth. Even the wobbly chin and glistening sheen of tears upon seeing her again didn't lead Lisa to think a single thing was amiss.

But this?

She certainly hadn't anticipated this. 

"Who the hell is that?"

"Pardon?" Lisa mumbled in return as she continued to read through the clipboard in her hands, a sigh escaping her at the fifth question in a row.

"I thaaaid," Chaeyoung pushed out with a glassy roll of her eyes, "who the hell is that?"

Slowly dragging her eyes up for a moment Lisa flashed a pleading, yet overly-saccharine, look of love at her wife. 

"Chaeyoung?" she said as sweetly as she could manage. 

"Hu?"

"Shhh. Just for a little bit, okay?"

Lisa watched an affronted frown pull at her wife's lips, cheeks stuffed with enough gauze to render any threat from the look quite moot. Shooting the disgruntled love of her life another smile, Lisa turned back to the discharge sheet she'd been attempting to fill out. 

"Is she always this… lively?"

A cough of laughter jumped from Lisa's chest as she dotted her last name. Handing the clipboard back to the waiting nurse, Lisa grinned over at the woman now fighting through a series of torturous looking blinks. 

"You have no idea," she whispered. "But this is rare form, for sure. You'd think a doctor would-"

"Oh no," the nurse, Joy, interrupted, shaking her head ruefully as she moved to slip the clipboard in its holder. "Doctors make the worst patients. If they're not pulling the MD card on you, they--"

"Heeey you. C'mere."

"-- Act like a fool?" Lisa finished for her, tossing an exasperated look toward the caregiver in charge.