The Engagement - I

The blaring of an alarm rouses Roseanne with a start. The morning light streams in the window, and with a groan she searches around her messy bed for the source of the sound. She finally finds her phone in the nest of her bed sheets and blankets and turns off the alarm.

The battery is at 6 percent. She sighs, finger combing her hair out of her face and reaching out to plug in the phone, and puts it on Airplane Mode for good measure before clambering out of bed.

In a tank top and slim fit sweatpants, Roseanne’s sexy figure is clear as day. She throws all her blankets and sheets to the end of her bed and replaces the pillows, grabbing her laptop which lays open on the other side of the bed. She places it on the bedside table and makes the bed hastily. Her clothes from the day before are draped over a chair, which she passes as she pads barefoot toward the kitchen.

--

The bed of Lisa Manoban is empty and half-made, the sound of a steady pace on a treadmill can be heard from the other room. At an incline with weights around her ankles and wrists, she is walking while simultaneously reading a manuscript. She seems quite ensconced in it, until an alarm chirps, and she takes a deep breath. Lisa turns up the speed on the treadmill and finishes her workout with a sprint.

--

Roseanne does jumping jacks in her kitchen while the timer counts down a few minutes on her breakfast. She switches to high-knees after thirty seconds and finally ends up doing some push ups until the microwave beeps. She carefully frees a breakfast burrito from the appliance and deposits it on a plate. It is steaming so much that she can’t eat it so she leaves it on the counter to cool and rushes off toward the washroom.

--

A bowl of yogurt and granola is in Lisa’s hand as she continues to read the manuscript, now freshly showered and standing in a robe with a towel over her hair as she eats and reads. She turns a page meticulously, nodding slightly as she finishes her page, pausing and keeping her spoon in her mouth as she reads over a particularly riveting section of text.

--

Roseanne blow dries her hair, now dressed and made up for work. She wore the same clothes yesterday, but the slim fit trousers and button down shirt are clean and unwrinkled thanks to her having steamed them while she was in the shower. Roseanne runs her brush through her hair after a moment and considers herself satisfied with the result.

Roseanne unplugs the hair dryer and turns off the light and rushes down the hall to her desk in the living room. She gathers several stacks of paper, straightening them out in their folders before slipping them into her bag. In a moment of consideration, she returns to her room and grabs her laptop and phone, stuffing them and her travel chargers into the bag as well. The last thing she does before leaving her apartment is take her phone off Airplane Mode and send a quick text.

--

Now in a cab, Lisa is is dressed and made up for work. She reads the manuscript still.

Her hair has been done up in a bun. Her calf length black pencil style dress is elegant and classy, and she wears a matching jacket over it and a pair of black heels.

She shuts the manuscript, the by line is visible and reads; WRITTEN BY DEIDRA PARKER. Just as she’s slipping out of a cab, her phone buzzes and she fishes it out of her bag, smiling when she sees who is calling her.