Moms

***

How on earth Lisa Manoban had ended up with two, identical beautiful six year olds was absolutely beyond her.

Okay, so maybe that was a little dramatic - she knew how she and her wife had ended up with twins, Lisa just hadn’t been expecting it at the time. She’d practically dropped dead the day they found out they were having not one, but two babies. Two girls, nonetheless. The brunette had always been certain she’d do better with a son; girly just wasn’t her style. Of course, because of that, their luck with IVF had blessed (or cursed, as Lisa occasionally saw it) the couple with identical twins. Two miniature, carbon copies of Chaeyoung.

Despite how hard raising twins could be and the extent to which the girls made Lisa, and sometimes even Chaeyoung, want to pull their hair out, Ella and Elly had their mothers wrapped around their little fingers. Most of the time, Lisa found herself reluctantly agreeing to letting them do things like her hair and nails most weekends, the latter almost always causing the need for some sort of explanation as to why each of her ten fingers were painted a different color when she routinely forgot to take the polish off prior to showing up at work Monday morning.

Why they didn’t want to engage Chaeyoung in such activities was beyond her - she was the mom who actually liked that kind of stuff, after all. However, the fact that Lisa partook in the events regardless of her detest for them never failed to make her wife smile. Chaeyoung thought Lisa to be the best mom, for that reason and so many more.

“Okay, nuggets.” Lisa said, the words leaving her lips in a sing-songy tone of voice that only ever appeared when her tiny humans were around. “Time for baths, then bed.”

“No! But, momma-” Elly, the most stubborn of the duo, started to protest. But Lisa had leaned over and pecked her little lips in time to interrupt her from challenging her any further. “No ‘buts,’ Elly. Mommy and I already let you two stay up a whole half hour later than usual.”

Elly pouted but followed Ella’s lead to their shared bathroom that connected their Jack and Jill styled bedroom/bathroom layout. The pair found the adjoining set up to be quite exciting, making it seem as if they had an entire section of the house all to themselves. This also made things like bath time fairly easy, as it tended to contain the wild pair from running around the entire house naked to just their separate bedrooms. For being so small they really were quite fast, making it so Lisa and Chaeyoung had to often work together to catch even one of them.

In an effort to turn Elly’s frown upside-down, Lisa poured an extra cap full of bubble solution into the running water, creating what looked like white, snowy mountains on top of the surface. This elicited a fit of giggles from the twins as they immersed their bodies in it.

“Mommy!” Ella, the younger of the two, called out in between blowing handfuls of bubbles at her sister. Chaeyoung appeared in the doorway moments later, two pairs of footie pajamas in hand.

“Yeah, sweetheart?” Always with the sweet terms of endearment.

“Look at all the bubbles! Momma put in an extra cap.” Ella tossed another handful, this time up in the air where they ultimately landed on top of Lisa’s head. An unamused yet comical look took over Lisa’s face as their children cracked themselves up once again.

“Oh boy,” she sighed.

Chaeyoung joined in on their laughter, swiping the mess from Lisa’s head and flinging it back at the girls. “You two are so silly,” she told them, bending over and turning her head to press a kiss to her wife’s cheek. Before exiting the bathroom to continue getting their rooms ready for bed, Chaeyoung set the pajamas she’d picked out for them down on the counter. “Here’s your jammies,” she said.

Within the next twenty five minutes the girls were bathed and dressed for bed. While Lisa went to change out of her newly soaked clothes, Chaeyoung helped them brush their teeth and pick out two books to read. Once Lisa was back, all four climbed into Elly’s full-sized bed, an uncommon childhood luxury both girls had the rare opportunity of having and thoroughly enjoyed, and focused their eyes on the book in Chaeyoung’s hands. As always, she would read first.

Being the teacher that she was, she’d occasionally point to a sentence or two and alternate between having Ella and Elly read them, beaming proudly when they did so successfully and encouraging them if they struggled. Lisa adored watching the teacher come out in Chaeyoung as she did this, and too was proud as their girls almost always read with ease. They were smart, that was for sure, something she liked to think they’d gotten from both of them, even if they didn’t technically share her genes.

When it was Lisa’s turn to read the second book, she made it about halfway through before her eyes drifted shut - a common occurrence the twins had become accustomed to. The first few times it happened Chaeyoung would reach across and wake her up, but since then learned her wife’s ‘naps’ generally only lasted a couple of minutes, at most. For the duration of these minutes Ella and Elly would sit quietly, alternating between looking down at the book and back up.

Startling awake as her head started to droop, Lisa rubbed at her face and yawned, eyes eventually finding the two pairs expectantly staring up at her. “I’m sorry, babes. Did I fall asleep?”

“Yes,” Ella and Elly responded in unison as Lisa glanced down at the book.

“Do you know which part we were at?” She asked.

“Right here,” Ella said, pointing to the end of the last sentence Lisa had read before drifting off. With another yawn, the brunette continued while Chaeyoung stifled a laugh. It was amazing how patient and calm their babies were no matter how many times Lisa accidentally fell asleep mid-bedtime routine. They really were as close to perfection as children could get, and this exchange between the three of them only made her fall in love with her family that much more.

When they’d finished, Ella and Elly each took the books they’d picked out and returned them to their proper shelves. Ella hugged her sister goodnight and retreated to her bedroom, Chaeyoung following suit. The moms would each sing one of their children to sleep, rotating between them every other night, ultimately ending the regimen afterward by giving a final goodnight kiss to the opposite. After, they’d meet in the hall and exchange a few kisses with each other, both women grinning as they pulled apart.

“You three are too cute together, you know that?” Chaeyoung commented, earning an infamous eye roll from her wife. Chaeyoung took the opportunity to press another kiss to Lisa’s cheek, letting her lips linger there for a bit longer than usual. In Lisa’s opinion, what made their kids so cute was the fact that they were itty bitty versions of Chaeyoung.

“I think you’re the cutest,” Lisa commented smoothly, slowly backing the blonde up by her hips to their bedroom, taking care with every step. They didn’t need another repeat of what happened the last time she tried to do this, when she’d ended up walking Chaeyoung not so gently into their doorframe rather than through it.

“Uh huh,” Chaeyoung mumbled, silly grin still stretched across her face. With a small laugh Lisa leaned in to kiss her again, silently hoping one thing: that even though Elly and Ella got Chaeyoung’s looks, hopefully they would lack a few similarities when it came to her alluring demeanor. Lisa had no interest in chasing any interested boys or girls away from their twins any earlier than she absolutely had to. Though, of course, if things came down to it, she definitely planned to.

--

Ctto