𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟾

The purposeful patter of your footsteps echoed a few hours after midnight. You'd spent those hours tossing and turning in your bed, knowing you should've been sleeping, but who could blame you?

After all, you had to duel a highly skilled fighter for an entire country's independence on top of your own freedom. Who wouldn't be worried.

You were currently making your way to the river that laid just east of the walls of L'manberg, intending to calm your nerves. You held a lantern in your hand, ensuring you didn't trip on some stray tree root or rock in your way.

It was a common place for you to be in the late hours of the night, maybe idly sharpening a sword, maybe just sitting and watching the moon slowly descend below the horizon. Either way, the riverside remained a spot for you to put yourself at ease.

Once the war began, you found yourself returning there less and less, in fear of being sighted by a Dream SMP soldier. You hoped it would provide you some tranquility before tomorrow's - or today's, you supposed - events.

Finally reaching the familiar scene of flowing water and lush grass, you heaved out an audible breath and flung your satchel onto the ground. You flopped down not long after, removing your shoes and letting your toes graze the edge of the water.

Your lantern was discarded to your side, you hands splayed out behind you. You gazed at the serene moon, wondering if it would be the last time you would do so.

It wasn't long before you heard the padding of another person making its way towards you.

"I expected to find you here," Wilbur said simply, sitting down next to you. You made a noise of assent, letting your head roll back on your shoulders.

"How are you holding up?" he asked gently.

You gave a small shrug in response. "About the best that I can considering I might die tomorrow."

He sighed, his gaze switching from you to the running water in front of you. "Why did you do it? Take Tommy's place, I mean?"

"I couldn't let him, Wilbur," you responded, glancing at him. "He's only a child, no matter how much he denies it. He would be fighting against Dream, who is one of, and quite possibly the best fighter across this kingdom."

"I know, but-" Wilbur stopped. "Goddamnit, I just-"

He swallowed. "I've already lost someone that I- that I care about. I can't let it happen again."

"Oh, Wilbur..."

The brunette man had recounted countless tales with his previous wife, Sally. He had told you of her red hair that elegantly framed her face, of the green eyes that sparkled whenever she talked of the sea.

The two of them had taken Fundy in a few months after the beginning of their relationship. Sadly, they had a falling out a few years back. Sally had left Wilbur with Fundy the next day, and he hadn't seen her since.

A tear traced down Wilbur's face as he attempted to hold it back. You hesitated for a moment, then enveloped him into a hug.

He stiffened briefly, before returning the gesture. "Promise me you won't leave too?" he whispered, gripping tightly onto you.

"I promise Wilbur, I promise."

You could only hope you wouldn't break it.

-----

A few hours later, you awoke from a restless sleep, rubbing your eyes and sitting up. You threw the covers off your bed and went to get ready for the duel that started in... Shoot. Fifteen minutes.

You took a spare L'manberg uniform that you had from your closet, changing into it quickly. You smoothed out a few of the wrinkles and headed to the bathroom to get ready.

A quick look at the mirror and you realized how disheveled you looked. Prominent dark circles, hair tangled and unkempt - you must've been much worse during your time with Dream.

You washed your face and ran a hairbrush through your hair, wincing slightly as it tugged on the knots. You decided on [pulling your h/c hair into a clean ponytail/leaving your hair down] and quickly did so.

For your breakfast, you searched through your storage chests and found some extra bread. You took out a slice and warmed it up quickly.

Speedrunning my morning routine, ha, you thought to yourself, grabbing your black tricorn hat customary to the L'manberg uniform and jogging outside to where Mist was.

You quickly mounted her and guided her towards the place Wilbur had told you the duel was happening. As Mist cantered over, you threw the hat on and adjusted it so that it was on correctly.

"Y/n," Dream greeted you, looking almost bored as he leaned against the wall. You nodded at him, picking at your nails slightly.

You surveyed the area to see who was there. All of Dream's side was present, and Wilbur and Fundy were also there. It took a few minutes for Tommy and Tubbo to show up. At least you weren't the last to arrive.

"Alright, now that everyone's here, we can begin," Wilbur stated. "Dream, Y/n, meet face to face, handshake. I want a clean fight."

"Let me just clarify," Dream said, looking at the people around him. "If you win, we grant L'manberg independence, and Y/n her freedom. But, we'll still recognize L'manberg as part of the Dream SMP."

Wilbur glanced at you. "That's fine. Please shake hands."
You took a deep breath, trying to ease the tension in your muscles. You stepped forward, clasping Dream's hand in your own and shaking it. The male's lips were pressed into a tight line as he released your hand and tugged down the sleeves of his sweatshirt slightly.

"We're not using any shields, any blocks, correct?" you asked, thanking Wilbur as he handed you a bow. Dream nodded, taking his own bow from George.

"Backs to each other," Wilbur instructed clearly, the two of you doing so. "I will count ten paces. You will take a step with each count, not stopping. When I say the word 'fire', you may turn around and fire upon each other. Do you both understand?"

"Yes," you answered, inhaling and exhaling once more.

"Okay." Wilbur said. "Ready."

You closed your eyes, and began to move forward.

"One."

Your shoes made contact with the wooden path.

"Two."

You gripped onto your bow, nocking an arrow and holding it there.

"Three."

Breathe, Y/n. Breathe.

"Four."

You exhaled shakily, reopening your eyes.

"Five."

Do I shoot? Or do I aim for the skies?

"Six."

I can't just kill Dream.

"Seven."

But this is for L'manberg.

"Eight."

You stared directly in front of you, tightly clenching your bow.

"Nine."

I promised.

"Ten paces, fire."

You and Dream turned to face each other, almost in sync. You raised your bow.

And you released the arrow.

-----

1137 words (not including a/n)

Header by @/SAD-ist on YouTube

haha cliffhanger go brrrr- anYWAYS as apologies for that I'll hopefully get the next chapter out by Friday. DUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDU

Seriously, thank you guys so much for all the reads, like we're almost at 10k! I'll see you guys in the next chapter, and make sure to vote if you enjoy the stuff I've been writing!

-Partially Human