𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟺𝟽 - 𝚂𝚌𝚑𝚕𝚊𝚝𝚝'𝚜 𝙴𝚗𝚍𝚒𝚗𝚐

pre-chapter note: this is an alternate chapter 40 - i've included a small bit from the beginning of the chapter for reference. enjoy :)

-----

The battle ceased in almost an instant, swords and axes no longer clashing. You paused after a few seconds of the fact, gasping for air.

Wilbur's breaths were similar, him also staring at the masked man with a startled expression. "What?"

Dream's lips were parted into a slight frown, his shield held up protectively as he shouted the words out to Wilbur once again.

"I surrender. Wilbur. We need to talk- and- and anyone who'd like to join."

You could see the Pogtopian generals pushing into the conversation, the other citizens just staring on.

"I don't trust this," Tommy grumbled, crossing his arms and glaring at the masked male. "Not at all."

Wilbur let out a long sigh, turning to the Pogtopians. "Weapons down," he ordered.

Dream nodded at him. "Anyone else?"

When nobody stepped forward, Wilbur sighed and stepped away from everyone with Dream. You offered your hand to Tommy on your right, Tubbo on your left. The former hesitantly took it and lightly squeezed it. The latter latched onto it tightly.

A few minutes later, the two generals came back with equally displeased expressions. You raised your eyebrows, curious as to their decision.

"Schlatt's an idiot," Wilbur began.

"And that's something I believe we all agree on." Dream sighed. "I'd like to issue an official surrender. But for that, we need Schlatt present to sign."

Wilbur glanced around. He made a small expression to you. You recognized it as a please-find-him-for-me-I-don't-want-to-deal-with-him look.

You retorted with a so-you're-just-going-to-make-me-do-it-wow-okay look, quickly succeeded by a I-can't-believe-you'd-do-this-to-your-best-friend one. Wilbur's face turned mildly offended. You laughed internally.

"I'll go," you spoke in an uninterested tone.

"Thank you, Y/n," Wilbur replied, and from his tone you knew he was being genuine.

A soft sigh escaped your lips. You never really could say no to him.

You chucked your bag at him, keeping your axe and a bottle of water. "See you soon."

Before you left, however, a hand grasped at your wrist.

"Y/n!" Alex's eyes held worry, concern for you. "Someone should- should come with you."

You recalled the days he'd stumble into your office with terrified eyes and glass-shredded skin. When Tubbo would knock on your door in the early hours of the morning after nightmares that were nothing but reality.

Lightly, gently, you guided his hand off of your wrist.

"I'll be fine, okay?" you whispered into Alex's ear. "I'll stay safe for you, I promise."

You swore to yourself - and the others- that you would.

Because if you weren't strong for them, how could you do the same for yourself?

-----

You found him half-buried in trash and emptied bottles. Represented him quite well, you had to say.

Regardless, you pitied Schlatt.

He mumbled incoherent words to empty air, limbs too fatigued to move. The bags under his eyes weren't unalike to your own.