𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟶

Life was not particularly good for someone like yourself.

Maybe it was for the calculating rulers that led under iron fists, or the opulent business owners that made money by exploiting those working under them. Maybe even for the villagers across the borders of the kingdom.

But it was definitely not for the citizens of the Dream SMP. Not when they faced the threat of death just for a pittance of coins. And not for you, when the coin flip deciding your life went wrong side up too many times.

The setting sun casted a dim light on the small town as you walked up to a sign reading out "WHITT'S BAKERY". After slipping the hood of your black cloak off your head, you pushed open the old wooden doors. The smell of baking delicacies flooded your senses as you reached into your bag to pull out your pouch of coins.

"Hello, can I just get a loaf of bread and some water?" you asked the woman working at the place. She nodded, gesturing for you to set your payment on the counter. You obliged as she got a bag from a drawer and put two things into it.

You thanked the woman as she handed you the bag. You left the shop and released your horse, Mist, from the pole outside. You sighed quietly as you lifted yourself onto the saddle and snapped the reins.

The market was particularly quiet today, and less people had bought from you. Wasn't ideal, but you could pay for your next few meals. That was all you worried about these days.

Your h/l h/c hair fluttered in the strong wind as you headed to the spot you'd found to sleep for the night. You stopped Mist as you came across the area, a small clearing with a nearby stream for her to drink from. You took a woolen blanket from your bag and laid it out after tying Mist to a nearby tree.

You bit into the pleasantly warm bread and stared up at the stars, relishing the time you had to yourself. You were halfway through the meal when a cry of pain jerked you out of your relative state of calm.

You put down your food and grabbed your trusty netherite axe along with your shield, which was wearing out with use. Silently, you darted through the thick forest towards the sound, a skill that you had honed over your many years on the run.

A call for help sounded once again, louder this time. You quickened your already fast pace and stopped dead when you saw a man with brown hair, an arrow in his leg and a skeleton nocking another one in its bow.

You raised your axe and brought it down on the skeleton, killing it with two well-placed hits. You rushed to the man as he struggled to stand up, and offered him a hand.

"Can you walk?" you inquired hurriedly. He nodded, and you helped him back to where you had set up for the night.

You dug through your bag and pulled out a roll of bandages and some extra food you had, handing the food to him and unrolling part of the bandage. You swiftly removed the arrow and wrapped the wound, glancing up at his hazel eyes when you finished.

"Wilbur, Wilbur Soot," he said with a slight smile.

"Y/n" you replied, getting your own meal out of your bag and biting into the now room temperature bread. "What are you doing out here?"

"Was planning to take a walk around the area, but you can see how that went," he answered. "Could ask you the same question."

"Well, I don't have anywhere else to go," you replied. You took another bite of food, before noticing his questioning expression and telling him more.

"Shitty upbringing, shittier luck. I don't stay in the same place for more than a few days."

Wilbur looked at you sympathetically. "Must be hard."

You nodded shortly. "I get by."

A short but not uncomfortable silence followed. Your eyes scanned across the trees before settling in front of you.

"Say, how'd you like to join me?"

"Join you?"

"Me and a few friends of mine are planning on starting a potion business. You could come with us. We'd share the money we get, we've already got a place to sell. We're still making the houses, so we could change the plans for an extra person."

You considered the option. A stable source of coins and a place to live. You turned to the brunette and held out your hand.

"I'm in."

-----

"So this is where we're planning to settle," Wilbur said, pointing. It was a beautiful area, with trees dotted around, a few houses still in the process of being built, and a large lake at the edge.

Upon your arrival, you were greeted by a tall teenager wearing a red and white shirt along with tan pants and white trainers.

"Wilbur, you're finally back, we were getting worried - wait, WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU?!" he said, his voice rising to a yell as his blue eyes shifted to you. You held your axe up defensively until Wilbur stopped the boy from attacking you.

"Tommy, relax. This is Y/n. She helped me against a skeleton. It's fine," Wilbur told the blonde, Tommy apparently. "Y/n, say hi to the child Tommy, and over there is Tubbo, Fundy, and Eret."

The blonde, Tommy, protested at the word "child" as you took in the appearances of the others. Tubbo seemed about Tommy's age, with chocolate brown hair and a green shirt. Eret was older, with brown hair and dark sunglasses that shaded his eyes. Fundy was around Eret's age, and had reddish-brown hair with red fox ears poking out. You looked at Wilbur questioningly.

"None of us know how he has them either. We've grown not to question it." You nodded and gave a small wave.

"Uh, hi, I'm Y/n," you said shyly, looking down at your worn out boots.

"C'mon, let's show you the place," Tubbo said excitedly, gesturing for you to follow. You cracked a slight smile at his energetic demeanor and walked behind him as he pointed to all the different areas, rambling about their history.

"And last, there's the Camarvan, or the hto dog van!" You raised a single eyebrow at the phrase "hto dog van". "This is where we're planning to sell our potions and stuff!"

He took what you thought was his first breath since you started this tour, and asked you, "Any questions?"

You shook your head. "Thanks for the tour, Tubbo," you said.

The rest of the day was spent talking with the group. They all had their quirks, of course, but you found them quite endearing.

They could grow on you.

-----

1136 words (not including a/n)

Header by Imat Bagja Gumilar on unsplash.com

Thank you for deciding to take a look at my story, and I hope you'll stay for a bit longer!

-Partially Human

EDIT Apr. 26, 2021: Overall improvements on the chapter - including better hook, more realistic dialogue, and grammar checks.