𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟸𝟾

Trigger warning for self-doubt / self-deprecating thoughts

You didn't think that you'd be modeling a new dress made completely out of tangled up vines, but here you were. Exasperated, disheveled, and with thorns poking at your sides.

With scrupulous hands, you unraveled the leafy plants one at a time before draping them across the various lampposts and awnings of the space.

Currently, you were decorating the festival venue, arms full with various items to bedeck the square. Fundy was across from you, setting up games with his (admittedly more than your) knowledge in redstone.

You assessed his face, the one of concealed anger an expression that you knew quite well. You placed a few more things down before walking up to him.

"Hey," you spoke.

Fundy mumbled a response, one you couldn't quite understand. "Sorry?"

"Hello," he repeated. You tilted your head, glancing down and then back up, hesitating slightly.

"Uh, look. I know something's up with you. C'mon."

"S'nothing. I'm fine," he said, emphasizing the last word with a scowl.

"You can tell me," you pressed. "I want to, y'know, be there for you."

And he snapped. "I'm fine. I'm fucking fine. Why don't you just leave me the fuck alone like everyone else did?"

"Every- everyone else?"

"First it was mom, who just up and left without telling me anything. Then Eret, one of my only damn friends, and he betrays us, betrays me, and acts like nothing changed! As if that wasn't enough, Wilbur's gone off and not even tried to get me back. Not even a word. Because he's too busy running around with fucking Niki. And I can't even get mad at her! It's just- it's just-"

Fundy seemed to be on a roll, throwing his hands around in erratic gestures. "Am I the problem? Am I just that bad to be around?"

"No," you quickly said, "not at all."

Suddenly, he shook his head, picking his items back up. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't be bothering you, you've got so much more to deal with, it doesn't even matter-"

"Fundy." He stopped in his tracks. "Don't invalidate your problems because of someone else's."

Your eyes flickered on his heavy eye bags, his ears just barely tugging down. "You're not of any less worth just because other people think you're not."

A dam somewhere in his mind broke, and tears began to escape as Fundy fell down onto the ground. You sat down next to him, wrapping your arms around his frame.

You remained in that position for a few more minutes, as the cries slowly deescalated into soft sniffles.

"Thank you, Y/n," he said, bordering on a whisper.

"My pleasure."

-----

Trigger warning over! :)

"Y/n! Hi!"

"Wow, you've got a lot of stuff going on around here," you noted, looking around. For a celebration of under twenty people, there was a lot of attractions.

Karl and Tubbo nodded eagerly.

"We have a ton of stuff to show you!" Tubbo said, beginning to ramble. "Like an ice rink, and a parkour course, and-"

"And I'd really like to take Y/n to all of them, just - uh - the two of us, if that's alright with you," Karl interrupted.

"Sure, why not?"

Karl jerked his head towards a pathway, and you followed him, missing the wiggle of the eyebrow Tubbo sent towards Karl.

"Okay, so this is the parkour course," Karl began, leading you to a large structure. You got onto the first block, rocking on the balls of your feet.

"It's pretty tough to beat, Tubbo and I both could only complete it, like, two times. So, I don't know if it will be too hard for the attendees, I guess we'll see. You can try it if you'd like, but I'm not sure that-"

"You were saying?" you called, atop the finish block.

Karl's jaw dropped. "What."

The two of you paused for a second before erupting into laughter, and you had to hold onto the top block to save yourself from falling down.

"Your face," you wheezed, climbing carefully back to him. "I can't."

Karl let out a fluttery giggle, offering you his hand. You took it with a glance, and the two of you continued to walk.

You gasped as you saw the next sight.

"And the ice rink! It's- wait, are you okay?"

The [shorter/taller] brunette looked at you with concern, but you brushed it off with a good-natured smile.

"Yeah," you reassured. "I just, y'know, haven't really seen stuff like this before."

"Like this?"

"Growing up, I wasn't really rich. The only times I saw ice was in the winter."

Karl ahhed, placing this new fact about you in his mind. "Wait, does that mean you haven't tried ice skating before?"

You shook your head shyly. The male across from you immediately started dragging you closer to the rink.

"There are more things to look at, but we've got to go here before that," he said. "C'mon! I think the skates are in!"

He turned out to be right. A few skates in each size were neatly stacked in a cabinet, and you and Karl each took your corresponding size into the rink.

"So, uh, how do you - fuck - sorry, how do you do this?"

"It's pretty simple," he began, quickly grabbing your arm as you stumbled and almost tripped. "But, if you're just starting, we could start slow. Okay, just take two steps, and then sorta start to glide."

You stepped forward and let yourself be pulled forward, one hand stuck out to the rink's railings in fear of falling.

"That's good! Um, I think, at least. Now, try lifting one leg up while you do that." You did as told. "Nice! Just step one leg at a time and leave the other one up."

As the skates guided you across the ice, you hesitantly went away from the bar. Karl skated backwards and herded you around, shouting words of encouragement.

"Wow, you're a fast learner!" he complimented. "Let's try dancing?"

"Dancing?"

Karl stopped, and fumbled over his words. "I mean, only if you want, I don't want to be weird or anything..."

"Sure, why not?" you decided.

His face instantly lit up, and he quickly left the rink and went to the jukebox just outside of it. He scanned through the small selection of discs and pulled out one with a purple center.

Karl inserted it into the jukebox and came back in as the music began to play. "Have you danced before?"

"No, not this kind at least," you said, a bit bashfully.

"That's fine! Here, just take my hand, and I can show you."

You were glad that Karl didn't mention the rapidly growing blush on your cheeks. So was he.

-----

1115 words (without a/n)

Header by @/li-wri on Tumblr

Thankfully, my school is finally out so now I might actually have consistent uploads fkdjsajklfs

I hope you all like today's chapter! Next two will be the festival, so get ready for some ✨ spice ✨ Thanks for reading, and I'll see you when I do!

-Partially Human