𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟸

A sigh escaped your lips as you continued walking the perimeter of the tall blackstone walls.

As usual, you were patrolling the borders of the walls that surrounded L'manberg. Attacks on the barrier were infrequent, but deadly. The country needed to be able to defend against such attacks.

You were wearing the usual L'manberg uniform, composed of a white shirt under a navy coat, cream-colored pants, black boots, and a black hat. Your h/c hair was [tied in a low ponytail/slicked back] to keep it out of your face. You gripped your freshly sharpened netherite axe with one hand and held your shield with the other.

It used to be simple, life. You'd spend the mornings gathering resources, like mob drops and potion materials. Then, you'd grab a quick lunch and start packaging what you collected to sell in the evening. Dinnertime was typically spent with Tommy, Wilbur, Fundy, Tubbo, and Eret joking around. You'd head to sleep a few hours before them as you woke before sunrise in order to slay the monsters that spawned at night.

When the Dream SMP declared war on L'manberg, your world was turned upside down. Some people joined your new nation to find refuge from the tyranny of Dream and his government, and some left it in fear of what would happen.

You, of course, stayed. You couldn't go back to the life you used to live, not now that you had an actual family. Family was something you hadn't seen since you were much younger.

The memories still remained, the memories of your mother. She was a barmaid at your village's tavern who many thought of as the kindest yet fiercest woman they'd ever met. She raised you the best she could, teaching you how to fight, taking on extra jobs to support you, ensuring you had a good childhood.

As for your father... well, you couldn't say the same for him. The moment he realized that his drunken actions would have any consequence, he took off. He didn't even leave behind a single coin for her.

She was your entire life. It broke your heart when the healers of your village couldn't identify what kind of illness she had.

You weren't even sure if they knew what it was today. All you knew is that she passed that day and you were forced out of her house since you couldn't pay for it. The following morning, you packed as much as you could carry and left.

You were jerked out of memory lane when you heard a near-silent pair of footsteps following your own. Your knuckles turned white as you gripped your shield.

In a split second, you spun around, brought it up, and met the blade of a masked man with it. Your eyes widened as you took in his appearance. The green hood, the white mask with a haunting smile painted on it in black.

Dream.

His lips curled into a smirk as he pulled his axe from your shield. You drew your own axe out and gripped it defensively.

"Well, what's a pretty girl like you doing out here?" he said tauntingly, stepping forward. You instinctively backed up, and he chuckled.

Suddenly, he swung his axe again and you just barely dodged it. You countered it with a slice at his dominant arm. It nearly hit him, grazing his lime green cloak and slicing through the fabric.

With Dream temporarily distracted, you bolted. Fast.

You knew he was chasing after you when the crack of a branch sounded behind you. He was definitely faster, you realized, as he was a few inches taller than you. You would have to outsmart him somehow.

You reached into your satchel and scrambled to get an ender pearl out. You took a fraction of a second to throw it before you felt a gash open on your right leg and hissed in pain.

You quickly stumbled back and held up your shield to another slash of Dream's axe, praying for the pearl to land.

"Don't you know," you paused for a second, "that it's rude to hit a lady?"

And with that, he watched you teleport away, only leaving behind a few purple particles.

The ender pearl brought you to the safety of L'manberg. You grabbed a roll of bandages, a rag, and some water from your bag. You wet the rag and cleaned the wound, before tightly wrapping the bandage around your leg. Luckily for you, the gash seemed to be surface level, though there was a lot of blood.

Now that the wound was patched, you found it easier to walk, and that was when you noticed Eret building something. This early in the morning, when the sun wasn't even up?

You jogged over to him, and you saw what he was building - some sort of redstone contraption, inside a blackstone room carved into a hill.

"Hey Eret, what are you building?" you called. He jumped about six feet into the air, still tense when he saw your figure approaching.

"O-oh, Y/n," he said, fumbling over his words. "I- I was just- just making an extra storage room. Just an extra storage room, that's all."

I looked at him skeptically. "At like, three in the morning?"

"Yeah, I woke up way too early and figured I'd be productive," he said, though you could tell he was lying.

You raised your eyebrows, but decided not to press him on the matter. "Alright, just stay safe. I just had a run-in with Dream and I don't know if he's still around here," you replied. You turned on your heel and decided to stop patrolling for the night. You were only back about five minutes early, and you hadn't gotten a proper rest in a while.

Eret nodded slightly, before going back to building the "final control room", as he planned to call it. He had almost forgotten, he was meeting with Dream soon. He finished off the last of the redstone and decided to head to their meeting spot.

Looking around to make sure nobody could see him, Eret slipped outside of L'manberg's borders and strode to the place he and Dream had set.

"Eret," he heard Dream's voice call.

"Dream," the brunette replied, bowing his head slightly in respect. The masked man himself stepped out of the shadows.

"Y/n, I assume?" Eret asked, motioning to the small cut in his cloak.

"Oh, that's her name then?" Dream said, idly running a finger across the blade of his axe. "Girl with h/l h/c hair, right?" Eret nodded. "Shame she's part of L'manberg, though, I'd hate to ruin that pretty face."

Eret raised his eyebrows questioningly. Dream cleared his throat slightly.

"Regardless, you have the control room ready?" he asked.

"I do," Eret said. "I finished up the redstone recently, actually."

"Good, I believe we'll need it soon."

"This quickly?"

Dream sighed. "We've made it very clear. We wanted white flags that they couldn't put up. It won't take long to see who will win. We have the advantage in both gear and people."

"So you think they'll retreat?"

"I know they will, with enough time. I trust you'll use the final control room when the time is right?"

"I will."

"Then all I have to say to you is good luck."

-----

1220 words (not including a/n)

Header by @/redcoded_art on Instagram

New chapter, yay! I am honestly just blown away at how much support you guys have been giving this book. Thank you so much! This chapter is longer because I might post late next week. I promise there's a lot of stuff that goes on in the next chapter, though.

Random question because, why not: Favorite MCYTer (and why if you'd like to elaborate)? Personally, I like Skeppy, his videos are really funny.

Thank you for reading this chapter, and I'll see you in the next one!

-Partially Human

EDIT March 22, 2021: Just a few minor edits for clarification.