𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟹𝟼

"It's the last day, huh?"

"Yeah."

You, Niki, Tubbo, and Tommy sat together. The quiet of the early evening was pierced through with the chirping of crickets and whistling of wind. Simply enjoying what could be the last moments that you would share in peace.

It seemed like a change in Tommy's resolve had been made after that day of training. He worked harder than ever before, sleeping later and waking earlier than even you sometimes.

You'd seen the change in Tubbo and Niki, too, but not quite as much. They seemed to be nervous, more than anything else.

"You know, no matter what, everything changes tomorrow," Tubbo commented quietly.

Your eyes shifted down to your shoes, scuffed and stained with a mixture of dirt and blood. To Niki's eyes, their spark of innocence long gone. To Tommy's shirt, frayed at the hem and a tear ripping across the middle. To Tubbo's skin, splotches of red burn scars patterning it.

It seemed like everything had already changed.

"I'm scared." Niki toyed with the straps of her overalls as she talked. "That someone might lose their last life in the war. Whoever it is."

"We're going to make it out. Everyone, together." You weren't sure whether you were trying to convince yourself or her.

Niki went quiet, accepting your words with a tentative nod. None of the others seemed inclined to talk, either.

Tommy was the first to break the silence. "Promise me something, all of you."

"Okay?"

"What is it?"

"Whatever happens. Don't let it change you," the teenager said, voice bordering on a whisper. "Promise me."

Niki instantly nodded. "I won't, I promise."

You gently took Tommy's hand and squeezed it. "Neither will I."

"I promise I'm not going to." Tubbo's voice shook slightly. "Please don't either."

Tommy grabbed his hand too. "Even if it's just us... If Wilbur turns on us, if Techno does, if everyone does too. We'll stick together. It'll be us against the world."

With Tubbo's free hand, he held Niki's. The four of you looked out at the moon, comfortable silence hanging in the cold fall air.

A sudden gasp escaped Niki. "We have to - we have to get ready for tomorrow, guys. We have to go back."

"Oh, shit- yeah," Tubbo realized. "You guys wanna walk back together?"

"Ah, I gotta - I'm going to stay back a little," you responded. "I'll be back soon."

"Oh, okay," Niki said. "Stay safe!"

You smiled and nodded, watching them leave and leaning back into the bench. It was a few hours before someone found you once again.

"Didn't expect you to be up so early."

"Can't get up early if I never went to sleep," you joked.

Wilbur laughed as he walked up to you to share your seat.

The moon was still out behind you. You'd stopped glancing at it to check the time a while ago. The sky was a brilliant navy blue, littered with gently twinkling stars.

"How are you, I guess?" you asked, testing the waters. "Haven't talked to you much lately."

A sigh fell from his lips. "Alright, I suppose. You?"

"Can't say the same." You sunk down a little further into the bench, pulling your knees up to your chest.

Wilbur gave a sympathetic nod. "Maybe it'll get better tomorrow- well, today."

"It's that late already?" you asked, surprised. "I've been out here for a while then."

The two of you were quiet for a while while Wilbur attempted to put together a combination of words that made sense. It was... definitely a struggle.

"Oh, uh, here," he said suddenly.

The brunette pulled out a single gold coin, twisting it within his fingers and holding it out to you. "Coin for your thoughts?"

You smiled slightly, lightly pushing his occupied hand down. "We could use with something free for once."

Wilbur chuckled softly, stopping to let you talk. "I guess I'm kinda worried for everyone. The kids more so. They're too young to be fighting in a war like this. I just want to... to keep them safe."

"Yeah, I get how you feel," he replied. "They'll be okay, alright? 'Specially with you protecting them."

"I appreciate your confidence in me."

"Well, it's not made from a guessing game."

Conversations from Wilbur had morphed into these ones. Of comfort and reassurance, instead of jokes and playfulness.

You hated how this war had changed everyone. Training them into mindless soldiers instead of showing them what freedom looked like.

But after all, that was what you were fighting for. Wasn't it?

"What d'you think's going to happen?" You paused for a brief moment. "If, when we get L'manberg back."

"Honestly, I don't know if I still want the presidency."

You glanced at the tall male. "What makes you say that?"

"I dunno." Wilbur's hands tangled into his hair as he leaned forward. "I wasn't expecting to run a country before hitting thirty. I wasn't expecting to run a country at all. S'pose it's just weighing on me."

The words you spoke were gentle, kind. "Whatever decision you make, I'll support you in it. Not just me. Tommy, Tubbo, Niki, all of us."

Wilbur nodded, half smile dragging on the corners of his lips. "I'll keep that in mind. Thanks."

"No problem, Wil."

You looked down and smiled, hands resting neatly on your lap while Wilbur's were in a constant state of fidgeting.

The stress was probably getting to everyone. To be fair, who could stop it from fazing them?

He yawned, stretching his arms out, before shyly snaking one behind your back and onto your shoulder.

You tensed up ever so slightly, before relaxing into his hold. Your head leaned against Wilbur's shoulder and your eyes fluttered closed for just a moment.

It was moments like these that you truly appreciated. Small tokens of affection in a world where it was encouraged to keep them to yourself.

Reopening your eyes and glancing forward, your eyes widened in realization. You didn't realize that you'd fallen asleep until the sun showed itself and peeked above the horizon.

For good or for worse, it was the day.

The dawn of sixteenth.

-----

1029 words (without a/n)]

Header by @/Kanaya on YouTube

the old dream smp songs are so pretty i swear

watching nov 16th streams for writing purposes ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶g̶e̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶w̶r̶i̶t̶e̶ is going to be so nostalgic i swear hsfdjklsjkld

hope you liked the chapter, votes and comments are always appreciated! thank you, love you (say it back :D), see you soon!

-Partially Human