𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟷𝟿

"Hello, all, and welcome to the L'manberg Presidential Debate. Today, the two running parties - POG2020 under Wilbur Soot and Tommy Innit and SWAG2020 under Quackity HQ and George Notfound - will be going over their policies for this country, and giving their rebuttals to the opposing side."

A small audience was gathered in front of the hastily constructed debate site. The cobblestone and stone brick building seated a few supporters on both sides, and a few people to record and notate the debate. Wilbur and Tommy stood at one side of the room, Quackity and George on the other. Both sides had a podium to speak at.

"Topics have been decided prior to the debate by me, Y/n L/n, as the moderator, with input from a few select others. Each topic discussion will last at most fifteen minutes. It will consist of a maximum of two minutes for each candidate to answer the question, and the remaining time used for rebuttals and open discussion. During open discussion, audience members may also ask questions."

You waited patiently as the notaters furiously scribbled down words, combing your hair neatly back with your hands. When the majority of them appeared to be done writing, you continued.

"The first topic is territories. If your party is elected, what border policies will you implement - or remove? We'll start with the SWAG party, Quackity, you may begin speaking."

The man in question stepped up to the podium, formally dressed in a black suit with a blue tie. He straightened up and began to speak.

"Thank you, Y/n. Now L'manberg, since its foundation, has discriminated against those not from the country. George, my running mate, is not allowed inside because of the policies the L'manbergian government has created, and I don't agree with that. I, as president, will let all people into L'manberg, because it's a beautiful country."

Quackity continued to go over his policies while the onlookers watched. He ended his answer with a quick dip of the head, the sound of quills on paper echoing in the room.

"Thank you, Quackity. We pose the same question to you, Wilbur. You may begin speaking."

"Okay, thank you. For years - decades, dare I say - have the people of the Dream SMP had tyrannical rulers. L'manberg is not a place where this oppression thrives. It is a place of sanctuary for our people. I stand for the freedom and rights of my citizens, and thus make the just policy to keep our borders closed to the rulers of the Dream SMP."

You nodded along with Wilbur's words, glancing back at Quackity. The latter seemed unbothered by the statement, and sent a slight look to George as Wilbur finished off.

"Alright, and that was current president Wilbur Soot. We'll now proceed to open discussion. Any party, or audience member, may start off this segment."

The first person to speak was a raven-haired female, who stood up and turned to Quackity. "Hello, I'm a reporter for the Dream SMP Times. What I'm gathering from your speech was that you want to break L'manberg's old traditions. Is this true?"

"You're correct, and I'm sure it's clear that L'manberg, currently, is embracing these traditions. However, we don't need to do so. We are a new generation of politicians, and I hope my opposing party remembers that. Going with your 'just' policies will just hurt L'manberg's growth. Not to mention, those of you who have forgotten, that these policies were formed from blood, from war."

"We were oppressed people, Quackity," Wilbur interjected. "We fought, we had war, all for freedom. These policies are what let people to freedom and these policies are the ones that I will hold up."

The two men continued to talk, and you placed your forearms on the table in front of you while you listened.

You glanced up at the clock, noticing the time.

"Thirty seconds left, both of you, plan to wrap up your arguments," you called.

They ended the topic with a few sentences, the room looking at you once they stopped speaking.

"Thank you, all of the speakers for this segment. We'll now be moving into the next topic, defense against crimes. What's your party's plan for dealing with crime and conflict? The POG2020 party will start us off, Wilbur, you may begin."

The debate continued on similarly for the next hour or so. There were a few interruptions, but the remainder of it stayed fairly calm.

"Okay, and that is time. Thank you to our audience members for listening, and thank you to our candidates for speaking. Remember, election day is the twenty-second of September, and voting booths open up one week prior to then. Make sure to stop by and vote - you'll be part of a historic event and help our country do what's best. This has been Wilbur Soot and Tommy Innit under POG2020, Quackity HQ and George Notfound under SWAG2020, and your moderator, Y/n L/n. Thank you and good night."

-----

Two new posters were added to the ones by the docks the next time you checked.

Next to the SWAG2020 poster, there was one that showed Fundy and Niki standing back to back. This one had vintage-style lettering that spelled out, Coconut2020. L'manberg first. Fundy Soot and running mate Niki Nihachu. That had to be awkward. Wilbur's son running against him.

You then looked at the rightmost poster, a picture of Schlatt with gothic text above his head. Schlatt2020. Making way for change. So he did end up making his own party. Huh.

As you headed back to your house, your mind flitted through the different parties to vote for. You considered going back to your house to sleep, but you knew you'd be tossing and turning in bed until late.

Instead of making a sharp right to your house as you normally did, you went straight out of L'manberg's borders, giving a small nod to the guards stationed outside the walls as you left. You glanced at the sun just barely above the horizon.

Your feet dangled slightly above the water while you looked at the stars that hung in the sky. When the crunch of grass sounded next to you, you jumped and scrambled to pick your things up. A scowl set on your face when you realized who was there.

"What do you want, Dream?" you questioned, pointing your axe at him distrustingly.

The person in question rolled his eyes. "Relax, darling, I'm not here to hurt you."

"One, stop with the shitty pet names. Two, I find that very hard to believe."

"In character for you, I suppose." Dream raised his arms up in mock surrender. "Oh well. I'm just here to warn you."

"About what?"

"Schlatt is going to win, and it's not going to be pretty. He's got something planned for your dear friends."

"Stop being so fucking mysterious. What do you mean?"

"I see you haven't gotten any nicer since our last meeting."

"I see you haven't either."

"Fair enough. Just remember what I said."

"Do I really need to remember lies?"

"If that's what you want to call them."

"How do you even know this?"

"I'm Dream, dear. I know everything that goes on in this place."

"Mhm. Right."

Dream gave you a playful salute, beginning to walk away. He chuckled to himself as he left you standing at the riverbank.

You astonish me, Y/n L/n, he thought. You astonish me.

-----

1243 words (without a/n)

Header by @/inozuart on Twitter (nothing about the chapter but the art is GORGEOUS)

I currently have the lOoOk aT tHIs grAaAaAAaph Vine stuck in my head and now I've spent hours watching Vines on YouTube-

Also, we have a new cover made by the wonderful @1800-TUBBO-SIMP ! Check them out after voting and commenting here - I've also got a lot of new followers, so thank you all so much!

Next chapter is the election, so get ready for some action! I'll see you soon! :)

-Partially Human