𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟸𝟸

"Niki, why did you bring me- oh. It's you."

Your small smile that had formed over speaking with Niki quickly disappeared once you saw Eret.

"Eret wanted to say something to you, and I figured it was about time you two caught up." The shorter woman rubbed the back of her neck.

Eret wrapped his hands around his forearms, looking sheepish. "Yeah, I... um... I just wanted to properly apologize. To you."

You tilted your head slightly. "Go on."

"I'm sorry. For... everything." Eret removed his sunglasses, looking directly into your eyes. "I thought that what I was doing - betraying you, betraying L'manberg - I thought it was for the greater good, which it truly wasn't. I wish I could undo everything, but it's too late for that. The closest thing I can get to that is your forgiveness."

You let out a long breath. Your eyes shifted to the ground, then to Niki, then back to Eret.

"I can't forgive you," you said quietly. "Not yet. I can accept- I accept that you did what you thought was right. I just... need time."

"I understand." Eret held out his hand towards you. You raised your eyebrows, and he tilted his hand to the side. You tentatively took it in your own.

A small pattering of applause interrupted the moment.

"Took you two long enough!" Niki teased playfully. "Now that all that's done with, we need to figure out a plan to get Schlatt out of here."

"Wait, wait, wait," you interrupted. "He's in on this?"

Eret nodded. "I don't think what Schlatt is doing is right. He's gotten rid of L'manbergian history. He's become a dictator, not a president."

"Yup. So, here's what we have so far." Niki began walking along the Prime Path, gesturing for you to follow. "Wilbur somehow was able to connect to my comm. He told me that they didn't have enough resources to get more people into Pogtopia yet."

"Pogtopia?"

"That's what they're calling their base."

"Checks out."

"Anyways. Tubbo is working with Wilbur and Tommy as a spy, so we can trust him. At this point... I don't know if we can say the same for Fundy."

Niki exhaled softly before continuing to talk with you and Eret. While the conversation started with serious strategizing, it eventually became light joking around.

"That's true, I don't know either," Niki giggled.

"It's all up in the air," Eret agreed. Suddenly, Niki shrieked and you whipped your head around to see what happened.

What you saw shook you to your core.

The flag that you stood behind, you fought for, you lived under for years was being burned down by one of the very people who'd created its nation.

"No!" Niki cried. "Eret! Y/n!"

Your hands clasped to your mouth.

"Fundy, you bastard!" Eret yelled. Fundy himself turned around, eyes triumphant with a dark glint.

"DOWN GOES THE FLAG!" he shouted. "A NEW ERA IS UPON US!"

You ran down to where he was standing as Eret pulled out a water bucket and tried to douse the flames.

"Fundy, how could you?" you yelled. "You son of a bitch!"

Fundy only laughed, giving you a mocking salute as he walked backwards. "The flag shall be rebuilt. We shall rebrand our nation."