𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟹𝟸

"What happened to Wilbur?" you murmured, hands working to re-bandage and clean Tommy's wounds.

"It's... complicated," he said quietly. "Ever since exile, he's started acting weirder. Like, he'd hole up in his room for even longer than when he was in L'manberg. Techno 'n I never bothered him after the first time he threatened to turn me into 'well-done steak'."

He hissed as you applied rubbing alcohol to one of them, clenching his hands tightly.

"D'you know what he'd do in there?"

"Not sure, sometimes we'd hear guitar coming from there though," Tommy spoke.

You bit your lip, concern overtaking your features. Just what had happened after Schlatt's inauguration that had made Wilbur this way? 

"I'm really worried for him," you thought out loud, "He just looked so... so different. Like he's stopped caring."

"Yeah," Tommy agreed.

You finished wrapping the last bandage and stood up, placing your hands on your hips. "Tell me if anything hurts, well, more than it should. I'm going to check back on him."

"Good luck," the teen muttered, slightly under his breath. "He barely talks to anyone now."

You shrugged off Tommy's warning and the nerves building up, and knocked gently on Wilbur's door.

"Wil? Can I come in?" you whispered.

You heard no response. You didn't want to disturb him in case he was doing anything, so you sat with your back against the door.

"I, uh, I'm kinda worried," you began. "You've been acting different since I got here, and Tommy told me it's been like that for a while."

An awkward silence followed before you figured out what to say next. "I don't know if it's all the stress, or something else, but whatever it is... you can talk to me, y'know. I can try my best to help."

When you heard no response, you sighed softly. "Just... tell me if you're ready to. I'm always here."

You got up and walked away, intending to go and rest in the room you and Niki shared as the only girls in Pogtopia. But when you heard the door open just a crack, you paused.

Wilbur's eyes darted around the ravine, before landing on you.

"Please." His voice cracked.

You ran back over, and he clutched onto your back tightly.

"It's just, just... I don't know," he mumbled into your chest. "Everything from Schlatt to Tommy to Fundy to you is just too much to deal with and I can't handle it. No matter what I do, I can't win. All this is a losing game for me. I- I- fuck."

Your arms wrapped gently around him. "I'm here," you whispered. "Keep going."

"We're not even- we're not even right in this situation. I mean, Schlatt was elected fairly. He worked with Quackity in a way that we allowed, in a way that we wanted to. And now we're trying to take that from him?"

A short pause. "I think we're the villains here, Y/n. I think- I think we're the true bad guys."

"You're trying to rejoin the country you founded. I don't think that's villainous."

Wilbur remained silent for a while, before speaking up once more.

"But is being the villain really so bad?"

-----

A yawn escaped your lips. Another day in week two of living in Pogtopia.

Alex and Fundy had joined the slowly growing group, as well as certain other Manbergians who'd been sick of Schlatt and ready for rebellion. New accommodations had to be quickly built, and Wilbur was considering adding an outpost slightly farther from the main area.

For now, you shared a room with Niki and a few other girls. You were the first one awake, so you were careful to be quiet when sliding into a pair of boots and walking out.

Next stop was the storage room. You vividly remembered the painstaking task of organizing them all from Tommy's horrendous tactic of dumping everything into a single double chest. Quickly, you grabbed a pickaxe from your ender chest and headed out.

You were intending to go mining to get better armor for the crew. What you ended up doing was crash into a pinkette and feel like you just smashed your knee onto the corner of a table.

"Shit, sorry," you murmured, picking up your bag and continuing. That is, until you felt a hand on your shoulder.

"Hey, you're not busy, right?" Techno asked, giving you no time to respond. "Great, uh, come with me."

He grabbed your hand and basically dragged you into the potato farm. He seemed to have woken up an hour ago, and was dressed in a simple cream-colored tunic and black pants.

"You joined L'manberg. Why?" the male said bluntly. He began to pick out and replant the fully grown potatoes, waiting for your answer.

You were slightly confused, wondering why he was all of a sudden conducting an interview. "What?"

"I asked you a question," Techno repeated. "I'm aware that this sounds like an interrogation. It is."

"M'kay." You paused. "I mean, Wilbur invited me and I kinda just decided why not. The clout and money was good enough for me."

Techno snorted slightly. "Fair enough. Opinion on anarchism?"

"Okay, so this isn't going to be a 'what's your favorite color' interview. Uh. The idea of it is nice, but there's not enough people sharing the ideology to make it viable."

The hybrid muttered a few words to himself, before nodding.

"I haven't learned anything about you though. Why'd you join Pogtopia?" you questioned, joining him and assisting with the farm.

"Same I told you the first time we met. They wanted to overthrow a government, so did I, and who am I to pass on an ally. 'Specially since we're old friends."

"Old friends?"

"Well, kinda like brothers I guess. Got raised by the same person. I moved out to Hypixel for a while to practice combat, and you know what Wilbur and Tommy went to."

"Hmm. Nice. How was it like?"

"Alright. Everyone was really competitive, though. Killed off the vibe."

You chuckled slightly, a comfortable silence filling the room. It was one that you hadn't gotten the chance to have in a while.

"Y/n! Techno!"

The two of you flipped around to see Tommy, clearly having ran from wherever he came from. His expression dripped with worry.

"Schlatt's declared war. On November sixteenth, we fight for L'manberg once again."

-----

1066 words (without a/n)

Header by @/starlitcrows on Tumblr

me: goes onto wattpad to stop procrastinating and start writing the new chapter
me: notices when i last updated
me: oh no.

aaaanyways, enjoy the chapter that i forgot to press publish on! hope you're having a great night (or day) from wherever you're at. if you're like me, and can get absolutely lost in fanfic world, go drink water :))) love you all!

-Partially Human