forty-two

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗙𝗢𝗥𝗧𝗬-𝗧𝗪𝗢
( 𝘍𝘜𝘛𝘜𝘙𝘌. )

MURPHY RAN THROUGH THE STREETS OF ALEXANDRIA, both disbelief and acceptance coursing through her veins

MURPHY RAN THROUGH THE STREETS OF ALEXANDRIA, both disbelief and acceptance coursing through her veins. The walkers had broken through, and were ready take take over their home like they had the rest of their world. A plume of dust had risen above the community as the watchtower settled on the ground. At first, it was silent. Then... the growls came. Through the hazy and stagnant air filled to the brim with fear, the walkers emerged hungry and victorious. Michonne and Murphy sprinted toward the collapsed wall- ready to cut down anything in their path as they rushed to save those they could. Just before the herd reached their view, Murphy heard her name called behind her. She turned to find Carol running toward her with a shocked expression upon her face.

"Carol!" Murphy breathed. "Get inside, they're coming!"

Carol reached her side and grabbed her arm, "Come with me."

Murphy shook her head while looking around frantically, "I have to go. I have to go, I'm sorry."

"Murphy!" Carol spoke sternly, her eyes holding a despair that Murphy placed quickly. She wanted her to live. She wanted her to live for Daryl. The two had barely spoken since Murphy's return, and for that, she was guilty. But they understood each other better than either of them realized.

Murphy softly pulled her arm out of Carol's grasp, a stark contrast to the chaos approaching them, and clenched her hand in hers, "I'm gonna be fine. Don't worry, just get inside."

"Murph!" Michonne called sharply, gesturing toward the end of the street where the walkers approached in the distance.

"I have to go," Murphy whispered, slipping her hand away from Carol's. Their eyes stayed locked as she backed away. "We'll be okay. Go with Morgan, and stay safe!"

Carol looked at her receding figure with a pained expression, but quickly turned to enter the nearby townhouse with Morgan to escape the murderous monsters. Murphy breathed heavily as she and Michonne caught sight of Rick bracing an injured Deanna against his side, her arm wrapped tightly around his shoulders. They were just barely ahead of the herd. Murphy saw blood seeping from Deanna's side and leg, so she sped her gait and brought her knife down upon the walkers closest. Michonne whipped her katana through the walkers she could. Rick and Deanna used their pistols to take down others. But the four of them alone were no match for the number that surrounded them. Murphy fearfully looked around as the walkers approached from every side.

She then caught sight of Gabriel, Carl, and Jessie's teenage son, Ron. Together, the group made their way through the overrun streets toward the community's houses in hope of shelter. Murphy lost count of the amount of walkers she had stabbed, corpses littering the ground around her. Although she continued onward, fearlessly, she could not shake the feeling of dread within her heart. The last time this happened... the last time she felt this way... she'd lost everything. And even though they were holding their own at the moment, everything could change just like that.